1964 Aston Martin DB5 Convertible Registration no. EGF 82B Chassis no. DB5C/1503/R Engine no. 400/1591
'More and more cars today reach the magical "ton" but those which can do it with the same ease and rapidity of the Aston can be counted on the fingers of one hand. High-speed stability and safety is not cheap to engineer, and with few people to pay the price, production costs are never reduced by the quantity of the work. The DB5 therefore fills a unique corner of the market, a corner at the top end both in the way it performs and the price one pays for the privilege.' Autocar, 18th September 1964.
Introduced in 1963, the DB5 was a development of the preceding DB4 that had represented such a giant step forward in Aston Martin's post-war evolution on its arrival in 1958. Classically proportioned, the Touring-designed body established an instantly recognisable look that would stand the marque in good stead until 1970. The DB4's engine was still an all-alloy twin-overhead-camshaft 'six' but the old W O Bentley-designed 3.0-litre unit had been superseded by a new design by Tadek Marek. Proven in racing before it entered production in the DB4, the new 3,670cc engine featured 'square' bore and stroke dimensions of 92x92mm and developed its maximum power of 240bhp at 5,500rpm. The David Brown gearbox was a new four-speed all-synchromesh unit.
Touring's Superleggera body construction, which employed a lightweight tubular structure to support the aluminium-alloy body panels, was deemed incompatible with the DB2/4-type multi-tubular spaceframe, so engineer Harold Beach drew up an immensely-strong platform-type chassis. Independent front suspension was retained, the DB2/4's trailing links giving way to unequal-length wishbones, while at the rear the DB4 sported a live axle located by a Watts linkage instead of its predecessor's Panhard rod. Five series were built as the model gradually metamorphosed into the DB5. The latter's distinctive cowled headlamps had first appeared on the DB4GT and the newcomer was the same size as the lengthened Series V DB4. The DB5's 3,995cc engine, first seen in the Lagonda Rapide, produced 282bhp and was mated to a four-speed, overdrive-equipped gearbox, a 'proper' ZF five-speed unit being standardised later. Other improvements included alternator electrics, Girling disc brakes instead of Dunlops, Sundym glass, electric windows and an oil pressure gauge as standard equipment. The DB5 was also offered in convertible form (the 'Volante' name would not be applied to the soft-top Aston until the DB6's arrival) while independent coachbuilder Harold Radford offered a shooting brake conversion. 1,021 DB5s were manufactured between July 1963 and September 1965, a total that included a mere 123 convertibles and 12 shooting brakes.
A desirable, manual transmission, matching numbers car, 'EGF 82B' was built in May 1964 and despatched in July of that year to Brooklands of Bond Street. The accompanying BMIHT certificate records the finish as Goodwood Green with Fawn trim and matching hood (as it remains today) and notes that the car was fitted with Selectaride shock absorbers. Acquired by the current owner from Paradise Garage in October 1985 (bill of sale on file) the Aston has benefited from considerable refurbishment while in his care, as evidenced by accompanying invoices. Works carried out include a re-spray, re-Connollising the interior leather and fitting rear bumper, wire wheels, hood and carpets in 1986 by Rupert Goalen Ltd (costing £14,892). In addition, new sills were fitted by Goldsmith and Young Ltd. in 1988 for which invoices are on file. A full engine overhaul by marque specialist Ian H Moss was done in 1994 following a compression test by Aston Martin Lagonda Ltd (costing £7,183). When inspected by AML, the car had covered 74,000 miles to which a further 13,000 have been added since then making the current total 87,000, which equates to only 650 miles annually. There are further bills on file for routine general servicing by Ian Moss, a braking system overhaul by Historic Racecar Preparation Ltd in 2008 and replacement of rubbers and refurbishment of the interior in 2010 by Mike Thomas Trimming. Described as in generally good condition, this rare and most desirable soft-top Aston Martin is offered with the aforementioned invoices and restoration photographs, workshop manual and owner's handbook (copies), MoT/tax to May 2014 and UK V5 document.