1956 NSU 247cc Max
Registration no. GSL 840
Frame no. 1816471
Engine no. 792491
NSU produced some outstanding and influential motorcycle designs during the 1950s, foremost of which was the 250cc Max. Announced in September 1952, the Max used a pressed-steel frame and leading-link front fork like its Fox and Lux predecessors, but its most unusual feature was the Albert Roder-designed 'Ultramax' connecting-link drive for the single overhead camshaft. This idea was not new, Bentley had used a similar arrangement in the 1920s/1930s, but Roder's overcame the design's previous shortcomings. Special Max, Max 300, Supermax and racing Sportmax versions followed. Quick for a 250 (its top speed was 75-80mph) and endowed with exceptional handling thanks to its superior cycle parts, the Max could show many a larger machine the way home over twisty terrain. With the car side of its business steadily growing in importance, NSU gradually wound down motorcycle production during the early 1960s, the final Max leaving the Neckarsulm factory in 1963. Reliable, well engineered and superbly finished, the Max was one of the finest European motorcycles of its time and today is worthy of inclusion in any serious collection.
An older restoration, this example comes with a huge history file containing the rider's handbook, workshop manual and spare parts list facilitating its maintenance and further restoration, should the fortunate new owner so decide. The machine is described as in generally good condition and offered with Swansea V5C document.