Registration no. EL 1491 Chassis no. 18674 Engine no. N18674
Based initially at Tours and from 1906 in Paris, Delahaye built its first automobile in 1895 and later branched out into commercial vehicle manufacture. Up to the mid-1930s its products tended to be worthy though unexciting but then in 1935 came the first of a new generation which would change the marque's image - the T135 Coupe Des Alpes.
Emile Delahaye himself designed the early cars and remained with the company he had founded after its sale in 1897. He retired in 1901, leaving Delahaye in the capable hands of production manager Charles Weiffenbach and engineer Amédée Varlet. The firm built single- and twin-cylinder models initially, and introduced its first four-cylinder car the Type 11 in 1903. By the outbreak of The Great War, Delahaye had established a reputation for quality and reliability and was ranked in the top ten of French carmakers. During WWI, Delahaye manufactured military trucks, FN rifles and parts for Hispano-Suiza aero engines.
One of its first post-war offerings, the Type 87, was aimed at the 10CV medium priced market sector. Introduced at the Paris Salon in 1921, the Type 87 was powered by a 1.8-litre side valve four with fixed cylinder head, which drove via an in-unit four-speed gearbox. Competitively priced, the Type 87 was a highly successful model for Delahaye with some 3,800 built when production ended in 1926.
Formerly part of a private collection, this Type 87 tourer was imported from France in December 1980 by a Mr Tamblyn of Liskeard, Cornwall. In June 1997 the Delahaye was purchased by a Mr Halliwell of Bacup, Lancashire who kept the car until 2009 when it returned to France in the hands of the previous owner, a Mr Tonge. Described as in generally very good condition apart from some paintwork blemishes, this stylish Vintage-era touring car is offered with Swansea V5C registration document.