1962 Messerschmitt KR200 Micro-Car
Registration no. 628 EOU
Chassis no. 78846
Engine no. 3471785
Introduced in 1953 as the 'Fend', after its co-designer Fritz Fend, the Messerschmitt Kabinenroller micro-car was soon being marketed under its manufacturer's name, the change coinciding with a switch from the original's 148cc Fichtel & Sachs engine to a 174cc unit. Sited at the rear, the single-cylinder two-stroke produced a modest 9bhp, enough nevertheless to propel the lightweight and aerodynamic KR175 to around 55mph. The Plexiglas canopy, so reminiscent of those of Messerschmitt's wartime aircraft, hinged sideways to enable access for the two occupants who sat one behind the other, tandem style. Tandem seating and handlebar controls were retained for the 191cc KR200 of 1955, which featured revised bodywork, an improved turning circle and floor-mounted accelerator and clutch. Production ceased in 1964 after some 30,000 KR200s had been made.
Between 1983 and 2009, this matching-numbers KR200 belonged to British Museum curator Terence Victor Harris of Esher, Surrey, who used it as his daily commuter. Restored in 2010, the car has been kept unused within the vendor's private collection since the rebuild's completion, though we are advised that it started recently without problems. A complete photographic record of the restoration is on file together with numerous related receipts. Described as in generally excellent condition, the car also comes with spare tyre, tool kit, owner's manual, workshop manual, (copy) old Swansea V5 and current V5C document.