Its superior power-to-weight ratio enabled H F S Morgan's humble, three-wheeled cyclecar to outperform many a larger-engined four-wheeler, and its maker was not slow to capitalise on his creation's competition potential. A Gold Medal in the 1911 London-Exeter-London Reliability Trial with Morgan himself driving was followed by victory in the inaugural cyclecar race at Brooklands the following year, Harry Martin taking the chequered flag three minutes ahead of the field. Racetrack successes led directly to road-going spin-off in the form of the Grand Prix model, introduced for 1914. The first Aero sports model, inspired by the Grand Prix, followed immediately after WWI. Subsequent developments included the fitting of front brakes, operated by hand lever, from 1924 and the adoption of a new chassis - the M-type - on the new Super Sports model in 1928. This new chassis was some 2½" lower than its predecessor and undoubtedly helped Morgans trounce the opposition at the New Cyclecar Club's meeting at Brooklands later that year. In 1931 a conventional three-speeds-plus-reverse gearbox was introduced, the old two-speed transmission disappearing soon after.
An example of the three-speed Sports model that replaced the Aero, 'AYU 335' is powered by a water-cooled JAP v-twin engine displacing 1,098cc. The Morgan was acquired by Stanley Thorpe in March 1971 and appears to have been in regular use, there being an almost complete run of MoT certificates on file dating back to 1981. These indicate 21,840 miles covered between then and July 2012 when the current one was issued, in the course of which the five-digit odometer 'rolled over' back to zero. The car carries a 'Vintage Montlhery' sticker and a '1909-2009 Malvern Commemorative Run' plaque, and no doubt attended many other similar events with its enthusiastic owner at the wheel. Accompanying documentation consists of the aforementioned MoTs, sundry invoices, SORN paperwork, Swansea V5C document and an old-style continuation logbook (issued March 1962) listing four keepers, the last being Stanley Thorpe.