1925 OEC-Blackburne 548cc
Registration no. WU 1099
Frame no. OB5 1157
Engine no. FF1807
Best remembered for its curious 'duplex' form of steering gear and Claude Temple's record-breaking exploits on the mighty OEC-Temple-Anzani, the Osborn Engineering Company commenced motorcycle manufacture in 1914. The Gosport-based firm began by making motorcycles under contract to engine manufacturer Blackburne before marketing machines under its own name from 1920. OEC also made its own engines under the 'Atlanta' name but mainly relied on proprietary power units, mostly from Blackburne during the 1920s. As well as the patented duplex steering, introduced in 1927, the firm offered rear springing from 1929. An option at first, this looked like a 'plunger' arrangement but in fact used a pivoted fork. By the late 1930s the rear springing was standard and the duplex steering optional. Blackburne, JAP and Matchless engines were used in the early/mid-1930s, then AJS engines from early 1937 onwards. There were also some Villiers-engined lightweights.
This rare, sidevalve-engined OEC-Blackburne was purchased by the current owner in 2003 and ridden in VMCC events. It was then subject to a professional rebuild carried out by John Mossey and Hailwood Restorations, which was completed in 2005. 'WU 1099' subsequently took part in the Banbury Run and Rose of the Shires Run, winning many awards at events attended including 'Best in Class' at the VMCC Founders' Day Rally. The machine is offered with old-style continuation logbook, a file of paperwork, Blackburne engines book, current road fund licence and Swansea V5 document. (MoT certificates are no longer required for motorcycles built before 1960).
- Frame number is overpainted; it has not been possible to discern the number. Offered with copy Blackburne book.