c.1951 Cyclemaster 25.7cc
Engine no. 27229
An ingenious design that originated on the Continent and was built in the UK by EMI, the Cyclemaster wheel - a single-cylinder, two-stroke engine complete with fuel tank, spoked into a heavy-duty rim - replaced the rear wheel of a pedal cycle, thus providing a cheap means of powered transport in the austere 1950s. Originally displacing 25.7cc, the Cyclemaster was enlarged to 32.6cc for 1952, gaining a small but useful power increase in the process. Cyclemaster progressed to offering complete machines and later on a conventional moped - the Cyclemate. Production of the Cyclemaster engine unit ceased in 1958 and that of the Cyclemate two years later.
This unattached Cyclemaster is offered for restoration and comes with an old-style logbook and old-type Swansea V5 document for the registration mark LAD 356.