Registration no. Not UK registered Chassis no. DB5/1684/L Engine no. 400/1771
'The new 4-litre Aston Martin engine, raced for the first time at Le Mans this year in Phil Hill's Prototype car, is fitted into the new Aston Martin the DB5.' Autocar.
Introduced in July 1963, the Aston Martin DB5 represented a further evolution of the preceding DB4 series rather than the beginning of an entirely new model line. The major change was the adoption of a 4.0-litre version of the (previously) 3.7-litre six-cylinder engine, this enlarged unit having been seen first in the Lagonda Rapide of 1961. Equipped with three SU carburettors, the '400' engine produced 282bhp at 5,500rpm and was mated to a David Brown four-speed/overdrive gearbox, a 'proper' ZF five-speed unit being standardised later. Outwardly there was little to distinguish the DB5 from the final, lengthened Series V DB4 apart from twin fuel filler caps, though these had already appeared on some cars. Beneath the skin however, there were numerous improvements including alternator electrics, Girling disc brakes instead of Dunlops, Sundym glass, electric windows and an oil pressure gauge as standard equipment.
Left-hand drive chassis number '1684/L' was retailed via the then Aston Martin agent Lindner in Germany in August 1964 and first owned by one Ferdinand Muhlens of Koln-Ehrenfeld. The accompanying (copy) build sheet reveals that the car was originally finished in Peony with dark grey Connolly interior trim. A Waso steering lock, chrome road wheels, a heated rear screen, two wing mirrors, Britax seat belts and a limited-slip differential are the items of non-standard equipment listed. Unfortunately, nothing is known of the subsequent history of this DB5, which has never been returned to the factory for servicing and is not listed in the AMOC Register.
Offered for restoration and sold strictly as viewed, '1684/L' is largely complete and retains a number of original features, though it should be noted that the engine is not original to this chassis. (According to the AMOC register, '400/1771' left the factory in 'DB5/1778/R'). The car has been repainted, probably some time ago, in dark red and there is evidence of extensive body filler beneath the paint. Although the DB5 has not been totally restored, the suspension has been refurbished to a high standard, albeit also incorrectly repainted in the body colour together with the chassis underside and prop shaft. It should be noted that the braking system is in poor condition and unsafe.