In current ownership since 1989 1964 Aston Martin DB5 Sports Saloon Registration no. BYC 886B Chassis no. DB5/1598/R Engine no. 400/1596
'Second to his house, a man's car is usually his most expensive single possession. But a house is static, and although a car like the DB5 costs as much as a comfortable dwelling, it is very dynamic and free to go anywhere. It is a car which cries out to be driven, to be driven well, and to be driven far.' - Autocar, 18th September 1964.
Aston Martin's post-war evolution took a giant step forward with the launch of the DB4 in 1958. Classically proportioned, the Touring-designed body established an instantly recognisable look that would stand the marque in good stead until 1970. The engine was still an all-alloy, twin-overhead-camshaft, six but the old W O Bentley supervised 3.0-litre unit had been superseded by a new design by Tadek Marek. The new 3,670cc engine featured 'square' bore and stroke dimensions of 92mm, and developed its maximum power of 240bhp at 5,500rpm. The David Brown gearbox was a new four-speed all-synchromesh unit.
Touring's Superleggera body construction, which employed a lightweight tubular structure to support the aluminium-alloy body panels, was deemed incompatible with the DB2/4-type multi-tubular spaceframe, so engineer Harold Beach drew up an immensely strong platform type chassis. The DB2/4's trailing-link independent front suspension gave way to unequal-length wishbones while at the rear the DB4 sported a live axle located by a Watts linkage instead of its predecessor's Panhard rod.
Five series were built as the model gradually metamorphosed into the DB5 of 1963. The latter's distinctive cowled headlamps had first appeared on the DB4GT and the newcomer was the same size as the lengthened Series V DB4. The 3,995cc engine - first seen in the Lagonda Rapide - was mated to a four-speed overdrive-equipped gearbox; a proper ZF five-speed unit being an option at first and standardised later.
The DB5 was the first and remains the most famous of all the 'James Bond' Aston Martins, having appeared in no fewer than five movies of the series, beginning with Goldfinger in 1964. Equipped with rocket launchers and sundry other gadgets, 007's DB5 was finished in Silver Birch with red interior, in which specification it was later issued by Corgi Toys. In production for only two years, during which period 1,021 were manufactured, the DB5 is considered by some to be the nicest of the Marek six cylinder cars, combining as is does the short wheelbase of the original DB4 with the 4.0-litre engine as found in the larger DB6.
Chassis number '1598/R' was first owned by the Earl of Lonsdale. The current owner purchased the Aston in 1989 from Marksdane Classic Cars of Shepton Mallet, Somerset, who had just completed a major overhaul of the car following its return to the UK from California. The recorded mileage at that time was 61,363. For the last 24 years, 'BYC 886B' has been kept in a heated garage with relatively few miles being added to the total. Regularly serviced and maintained by Oselli Ltd of Witney, Oxfordshire, it is described as original in every way and in this respect is one of the best we have seen.
Relatively recent works carried out by Oselli include overhauling the brake servos and master cylinder; removing the cylinder head, re-facing and reassembling with new gaskets and seals; overhauling the water pump; re-coring the radiator; replacing the oil cooler; fitting a new 'high torque' starter motor; replacing the left side window motor; and renewing the front windscreen and seals (see bill for £7,273 on file dated June 2006). Finished in British Racing Green with red leather interior, this wonderfully original DB5 is offered with the Oselli invoices, (copy) old-style logbook, current MoT/tax and Swansea V5 document.