Fully restored by Aston Engineering 1965 Aston Martin DB5 Sports Saloon Registration no. EWJ 400C Chassis no. DB5/1835/R Engine no. to be advised
'Like all classic GT cars, it combines enormous speed with comfort and the more you put into your driving, the more the car returns for your entertainment. And the DB5 really is entertaining to anyone who can exploit its outstanding performance, handling and brakes. It will also carry four people (just) and a fair amount of luggage so the merits of family transport (if need be) have not been entirely sacrificed to speed and elegant looks.' Motor.
Aston Martin's post-war evolution took a giant step forward with the launch of the DB4 in 1958. Classically proportioned, the Touring-designed body established an instantly recognisable look that would stand the marque in good stead until 1970. The engine was still an all-alloy, twin-overhead-camshaft, six but the old W O Bentley supervised 3.0-litre unit had been superseded by a new design by Tadek Marek. The new 3,670cc engine featured 'square' bore and stroke dimensions of 92mm, and developed its maximum power of 240bhp at 5,500rpm. The David Brown gearbox was a new four-speed all-synchromesh unit.
Touring's Superleggera body construction, which employed a lightweight tubular structure to support the aluminium-alloy body panels, was deemed incompatible with the DB2/4-type multi-tubular spaceframe, so engineer Harold Beach drew up an immensely strong platform type chassis. The DB2/4's trailing-link independent front suspension gave way to unequal-length wishbones while at the rear the DB4 sported a live axle located by a Watts linkage instead of its predecessor's Panhard rod.
Five series were built as the model gradually metamorphosed into the DB5 of 1963. The latter's distinctive cowled headlamps had first appeared on the DB4GT and the newcomer was the same size as the lengthened Series V DB4. The 3,995cc engine - first seen in the Lagonda Rapide - was mated to a four-speed overdrive-equipped gearbox; a proper ZF five-speed unit being an option at first and standardised later.
The DB5 was the first and remains the most famous of all the 'James Bond' Aston Martins, having appeared in no fewer than five movies of the series, beginning with Goldfinger in 1964. Equipped with rocket launchers and sundry other gadgets, 007's DB5 was finished in Silver Birch with red interior, in which specification it was later issued by Corgi Toys. Right-hand drive chassis number '1835/R' was completed on 23rd November 23 and first registered on 5th February 1965 as 'EWJ 400C'. The car originally left the factory finished in Caribbean Blue with dark blue leather interior, and records show that it was resident in the New England states of the USA for nearly 20 years.
The vehicle was purchased by the present owner in May 2007 from Aston New England (Mr Papadopoulos) and flown to Stansted Airport shortly afterwards. At that time it was finished in Cumberland Dark Grey metallic (picture in file) while the odometer reading was a believed genuine 68,510. There are service records on file for the period 2001 to 2005. Between October 2007 and August 2009, 'EWJ 400C' was subject to a complete 'last nut and bolt' strip down and full restoration by marque specialists Aston Engineering Ltd following a full detailed inspection carried out by Aston Engineering's Managing Director David Jack upon the car's arrival in the UK. The full restoration programme included upgrading the original matching-numbers engine to 4.2 litres capacity and unleaded specification. Engine rebuild records and dynamometer test sheets are on file together with all of Aston Engineering's invoices.
New replacement front body panels were produced by Bodylines and the car was subject to a full powder coating followed by Silver Birch paintwork, while the interior was re-trimmed in Charcoal Connolly leather. All original chromium plated and aluminium trim items were refurbished. In addition, the car was fitted with Aston Engineering's admired full air conditioning system together with period-style Kenwood CD/tuner and USB iPod connection with full hands-free Bluetooth devices, plus twin speakers to the rear parcel shelf.
Since delivery to the present owner, the car has covered approximately 6,000 miles including over 4,000 participating in the 2011 Enstall Classic in Austria at the invitation of Aston Martin Lagonda Ltd. Photographs of the Enstall Classic pictures are available on a USB stick together with a superb CD-ROM of all 371 pictures of Aston Engineering's complete rebuild. Described as in generally excellent condition, this fully restored DB5 is offered with aforementioned restoration and service records, current MoT/tax and Swansea V5C registration document.