Registration no. Not UK registered Chassis no. DB5/1605/R Engine no. 400/1522
'Racing has played a major part in the development of all Aston Martin engines since Frank Halford designed the original 1.5-litre unit for Bamford & Martin. The 3,995cc 6-cylinder light alloy engine fitted to the DB5 is in all major respects the same as that which powered the 4-litre prototype which ran in the 1962 and 1963 Le Mans 24-Hour races.' Autocar, 21st May 1965.
Introduced in July 1963, the Aston Martin DB5 represented a further evolution of the preceding DB4 series rather than the beginning of an entirely new model line. The major change was the adoption of a 4.0-litre version of the (previously) 3.7-litre six-cylinder engine, this enlarged unit having been seen first in the Lagonda Rapide of 1961. Equipped with three SU carburettors, the '400' engine produced 282bhp at 5,500rpm and was mated to a David Brown four-speed/overdrive gearbox, a 'proper' ZF five-speed unit being standardised later. Outwardly there was little to distinguish the DB5 from the final, lengthened Series V DB4 apart from twin fuel filler caps, though these had already appeared on some cars. Beneath the skin however, there were numerous improvements including alternator electrics, Girling disc brakes instead of Dunlops, Sundym glass, electric windows and an oil pressure gauge as standard equipment.
Chassis number '1605/R' was retailed via the then Aston Martin agent Moto Baldet of Brooklands, Surrey in July 1964 and first owned by a Mr John D Cowan of Northampton. The accompanying (copy) build sheet reveals that the car was originally finished in Sierra Blue with grey Connolly interior trim and equipped with a Powr Lok limited-slip differential. Chrome road wheels, a heated rear screen, a Motorola radio and three-ear hubcaps are the items of non-standard equipment listed. The accompanying Arizona Certificate of Title shows that the Aston was owned there by Mr Udo Kurt Schuelke of Mesa in Maricopa County. Mr Schuelke sold the DB5 to the current vendor in July 2006.
Offered for restoration and sold strictly as viewed, '1605/R' is largely complete and retains a number of original features. The engine is stamped with the correct number and appears original, while the chassis seems not to have suffered any significant accident damage, though there are some patched repairs. The car has been repainted, probably some time ago, in its original Sierra Blue colour, while the shabby interior has been re-trimmed in tan leather and the carpets replaced. It should be noted that the engine is seized. It had been the owner's intention to have the car fully restored at Works Service; however, his plans have changed and it is now offered for sale following a period in storage.