In the current family ownership since 1971 1963 Aston Martin DB4 'Series V' Vantage Sports Saloon Registration no. 773 HYL Chassis no. DB4/1148/R Engine no. 370/1116/SS
'When the products which are raced bear such a close resemblance to those which can be bought by the public, as do those of Aston Martin, only the most biased can deny the value of racing in improving the breed. It should be no surprise (that the DB4) should be based on an engine which first appeared in experimental form in some of last year's races.' - The Autocar, 3rd October 1958.
Classically proportioned and instantly recognisable from the moment of its introduction, the Touring-styled Aston Martin DB4 established a look that would survive, with only minor revisions, until 1970. Designed by Tadek Marek and already proven in the DBR2 sports-racing prototype, the DB4's new twin-cam six-cylinder engine displaced 3,670cc while the gearbox was a new David Brown four-speed all-synchromesh unit. An immensely strong platform-type chassis, designed by Harold Beach, replaced the preceding DB2/4's multi-tubular spaceframe, the latter being considered incompatible with Touring's Superleggera body construction. The DB2/4's trailing-link independent front suspension gave way to unequal-length wishbones while at the rear the DB4 sported a live axle located by a Watts linkage instead of its predecessor's Panhard rod. Boasting disc brakes all round and with 240bhp on tap, the DB4 was the first production car capable of accelerating from a standing start to 100mph and back to rest again in under 30 seconds. At a time when few family saloons were capable of exceeding 70mph and took an age to get there, this staggering performance made the DB4 just about the fastest thing on the road, easily the equal of its Italian rivals. 'Performance, controllability and comfort have been combined in the Aston Martin DB4 to make it a highly desirable car: one in which long journeys can be completed very quickly indeed with the minimum of risk or discomfort and the maximum of pleasure,' declared The Motor.
Manufactured between October 1958 and June 1963, the DB4 developed through no fewer than five series. However, it should be made clear that the cars were not thus designated by the factory, this nomenclature having been suggested subsequently by the Aston Martin Owners Club to aid identification as the model evolved. One of the most notable developments coincided with the introduction of the 'Series IV' in September 1961, when a 'Special Series' (SS) or 'Vantage' engine became available as an option.
The 'SS' incorporated a 9.0:1 compression ratio, larger valves and triple SU HD8 carburettors, producing 266bhp at 5,750rpm, a gain of 26 horsepower over the standard unit. Most cars so equipped came with the faired headlight covers of the DB4GT, and almost all of the Series V models would incorporate this feature. Series V cars were also 9cm (3½") longer, affording greater interior space, and gained 15" wheels, an electric radiator fan and the DB4GT-type instrument panel.
Sold new to Lewis Bros (Wednesfield) Ltd in February 1963, chassis number '1148/R' has been in the current vendor's family's possession since May 1971 when it was purchased from Swanmore Garage, Boscombe East by the late owner. The accompanying (copy) build sheet records that the car was originally finished in Platinum and black with dark blue Connolly leather interior. '773 HYL' was last used on the road in the mid-1980s and has been in storage in Somerset since then. The last tax disc expired on 31st December 1985. After such a lengthy period of inactivity, this 'barn find' car will require re-commissioning at the very least or quite likely more extensive restoration before returning to the road. Accompanying documentation consists of Swanmore Garage's guarantee, sundry receipts and invoices from the early 1970s, and an old-style continuation logbook (issued June 1964).