Registration no. to be advised Chassis no. BN4L-O-48858 Engine no. 26CFH48858
Introduced for 1956, the 100/6 represented the most radical step forward in the 'Big Healey' sports car's development. Despite its initial success, sales of the original Austin-Healey 100 had begun to decline by the mid-1950s and so the model was revamped as the 100/6, BMC's 2.6-litre C-series six-cylinder engine replacing the original four-cylinder Austin Atlantic unit. At the same time the wheelbase was lengthened from 7' 6" to 7' 8", which enabled the inclusion of two occasional seats in the rear of the BN4 variant. In 100-6 tune the pushrod six produced 102bhp - 12bhp more than its predecessor - though the inevitable weight gain meant that there was little if any improvement in performance, the car's top speed remaining at 103mph or thereabouts. Stylistically similar to the 100, the 100/6 was nevertheless easily distinguishable by its 'crinkle' radiator grille and bonnet-top air intake. In 1957 an improved 'six-port' engine became available, and this 117bhp unit was fitted to all the newly introduced BN6 two-seater roadsters.
This restored left-hand drive BN4 2+2 roadster was owned for many years by a garage proprietor in California, USA. The car had been in dry storage for some 15 years when it was re-commissioned by the proprietor's son; works carried out including installing new brakes, tuning the engine, a re-spray and a full service. However, the son found that he still preferred his 100/4 and sold the 100/6 to the current vendor. While in the latter's ownership the Healey has benefited from new sills and part foot wells, powder coating of the wire wheels, and general servicing. It is described as in generally good condition, with very good (Waxoyled) chassis, new carpets and convertible hood, and the overdrive working correctly. The is currently taxed, MoT'd to March 2014 and comes with Swansea V5C document. Finished in red with unusual cream vinyl interior, this BN4 drives superbly and offers accommodation for all the family.