A more rigid, platform-type chassis distinguished the Mercedes-Benz 180 from its 170 predecessor. As well as greatly increasing rigidity, the new design reduced noise, and was otherwise notable for carrying the entire engine, transmission, steering, and front suspension assemblies on a detachable rubber-mounted sub-frame. The 1.8-litre four-cylinder engine of the 170S was retained, as was the proven double-jointed swing axle rear suspension, but the newcomer sported altogether more modern coachwork of greater roominess and much-improved visibility. A four-speed manual gearbox was the only transmission available. In September 1957 the original model was superseded by the 180a, which came with a more powerful 1.9-litre engine but was otherwise virtually identical. The subsequent 180b and 180c variants incorporated further mechanical refinements. A measure of the 180's success may be gained from the fact that it remained in production for some nine years, disappearing from the range in October 1962.
This right-hand drive 180a saloon has been in storage since it was last taxed for the road in 1993. Serviced and fitted with a new battery, it is described as in generally good/excellent condition, running well, and will have been driven to the sale. Finished in blue with beige fabric interior, the car is offered with its original owner's handbook, service book, old-style logbook, old MoT and tax disc, and Swansea V5 registration document.