The replacement for the ubiquitous Model T, the Model A went on sale in December 1927 following a six-month shutdown of the Ford production lines. A more complex car than its predecessor, the 'A' was also more powerful, its 200.5ci (3.3-litre) four-cylinder sidevalve engine producing 40bhp - double the output of the T - which was good enough for a top speed of 65mph. A three-speed sliding-gear transmission replaced the T's planetary gears; there was coil-and-battery instead of magneto ignition and at last a brake for each wheel. The T's ungainly styling was abandoned and the eagerly awaited Model A's up-to-the-minute good looks, choice of colours (!) and, needless to say, competitive pricing, helped ensure its success. With the introduction of the new V8 for 1932, the four-cylinder Ford became the Model B, sharing the eight-cylinder car's chassis and body style, and for its final year of production in 1933 was marketed as the Model 40. The Model B was also produced in the UK from 1932 to 1935 with engines of either 2,043cc or 3,285cc.
Currently resident in Waterford in the Republic of Ireland, this right-hand drive Ford Model B saloon has participated in numerous rallies in recent times. The car has been kept in storage in a heated and dehumidified garage and is described as in generally good condition and very solid. It is not registered in the UK.