Property of a deceased's estate 1929 Crossley 20.9hp Tourer Registration no. TH 3070 Chassis no. 41229 Engine no. 41229
Previously a manufacturer of proprietary engines, Crossley Brothers Limited, of Manchester, built their first motor car in 1904. The first Crossley to make any impact was the A W Reeves-designed 20hp, introduced in 1910. The model was taken up by the military in World War I, seeing service as a staff car, ambulance, and light truck. In the post-war years the company continued to concentrate its efforts on transportation for the middle classes, a policy helped considerably by the marque's popularity with British royalty.
Unlike many rival manufacturers of up-market cars, Crossley continued to favour four-cylinder sidevalve power units for all its models until the advent of the 18/50 in 1926. The 18/50 featured a 2.6-litre, six-cylinder, overhead-valve engine, which was stretched to 3.2 litres in 1928 for the broadly similar 20.9hp model. Mechanically akin to the smaller Crossley 2-Litre, the 20.9hp was built on a 125"-wheelbase chassis, and came with a right-hand change four-speed gearbox. Available in saloon, fabric saloon, and tourer variants, the model lasted until Crossley's demise as a motor manufacturer in 1937.
This 20.9hp Crossley is known to have started life as a limousine and saw service as an ambulance before WW2. Previously belonging to Tom Lloyd of Cawdor Garage, Newcastle Emlyn (from 1947) 'TH 3070' was acquired by the late Jack Gillam in the early 1980s and treated to a 'no expense spared' painstaking rebuild to concours standards with all mechanical aspects thoroughly checked and overhauled as required. The coachbuilt seven-seat tourer body with 'Widney' occasional seat and Auster rear screen is finished in deep maroon livery complementing the aluminium bonnet. Comprehensive equipment includes wire wheels, Rotax lighting, radiator stone guard, running board-mounted Klaxon and tool box, glass ashtrays to front and rear, cocktail cabinet and drinks tray, luggage grid and fishtail. The interior is upholstered in brown leather with leather-bound carpets, and there is full weather equipment.
The Crossley was acquired by the late owner from Malcolm Barber on 22nd May 1993 at the RAF Museum, Hendon sale (Lot 290) during the penultimate year of his Sotheby's career. Thus the Crossley is being re-offered nearly 20 years to the day from the very venue where it was acquired. A magnificent and practical touring car, 'TH 3070' is offered with correspondence, current road fund licence, Swansea V5 document, fresh MoT and some past issues of the Crossley Register Journal.