Registration no. RA 8034 Chassis no. 75635 Engine no. M141394
A huge success from the moment deliveries commenced in January 1923, the Austin Seven remained in production until 1939. The sole version available initially was the 'Chummy' tourer while saloon, fabric saloon and coupé models, plus a roomier tourer, were on offer by 1927. The 'Top Hat', so called because of its upright, formal-looking, straight-sided coachwork, was one of the first Austin Seven saloons, panelled in aluminium to save weight, with elaborate cloth trim unusual for a British car at the time.
Little is known of this example's history prior to 1964 when it was purchased from a Mr Hadeson of Romford by Mrs Townend of Colchester, Essex for her son, John Townend. The original logbook was missing but Mr Townend obtained a new one in 1983 and managed to keep the original registration ('RA 8034'). While in Mr Townend's ownership the Seven was completely restored by Clive Sherriff Restorations Ltd. Invoices are available showing restoration costs totalling over £6,000 plus others for further work carried out between 1983 and 2009 costing in excess of £7,300. The current owner purchased the Seven - known as 'Poppy' - from Mr David Hindmarsh of Seahouses, Northumberland in February 2011. Finished in maroon over black with maroon leather interior, the car is offered with the aforementioned invoices, current MoT/tax and Swansea V5C document.