1930 Pontiac Big Six Sedan Project Coachwork by Fisher Chassis no. 596976P
The Pontiac companion marque originated within another member of the General Motors family: Oakland. Located in Pontiac, Michigan, Oakland had grown out of the Pontiac Buggy Company and thus the name of the eponymous Indian Chief seemed a natural choice for its new model. The latter had been conceived as a quality six-cylinder car for the price of a four and was a runaway success, setting what was then a record for debut-year sales of almost 77,000 units, which was more than its Oakland parent achieved that year. Contributing to the Pontiac Six's success was the fact that it boasted up-to-the-minute styling yet was mechanically entirely conventional. Developed at Chevrolet, it was, in essence, a Chevrolet chassis re-engineered to accommodate a six-cylinder engine, the latter being a 186.5ci (3,057cc) sidevalve that produced 40bhp at a leisurely 2,400rpm. There was a three-speed gearbox and brakes on the rear wheels only. The first open Pontiacs were offered in 1927 and four-wheel brakes arrived the following year. There was a larger (200ci) engine on the 'New Big Six' for '29. More than half a million Pontiacs had been made by the time of the Wall Street Crash of October that year, and although Pontiac would survive that catastrophe, its less-successful Oakland parent was axed.
Dating from 1930, this imposing 'Big Six' sedan was discovered in a garage in New York where it had been stored for circa 30 years. Purchased in 2009 as a restoration project by a Pontiac collector, it has not been touched because of the owner's ill health. Offered with a copy of the US Certicate of Sale, C&E 386, Instruction Book and photographs of it being disinterred from its resting place in New York. This lot is offered for restoration and sold strictly as viewed.