The ex-Ettore Bugatti,1938  Bugatti  Type 57C Special Coupé   Chassis no. 57335 Engine no. 340
Lot 588
Ex Ettore Bugatti,1938 Bugatti Type 57 C Coupé Spécial Chassis no. 57335 Engine no. 340
Sold for €690,000 (US$ 906,176) inc. premium
Lot Details
Ex Ettore Bugatti
1938 Bugatti Type 57 C Coupé Spécial
Chassis no. 57335
Engine no. 340
Il y a beaucoup de Bugatti spéciales. Il y a plus encore de propriétaires de Bugatti importants et célèbres. Mais aucune Bugatti, pas même les Type 41 « Royale » qui restèrent à Molsheim pendant des années, n'est plus liée avec Le Patron, Ettore Bugatti, que cette Type 57 C Coupé Spécial. Encore plus émouvant et significatif est ce rapprochement simultané avec le fils aîné d'Ettore, Jean, talentueux auteur de cette carrosserie unique qui serait sa dernière création.

La Type 57 introduite pour 1934 marqua l'affirmation de Jean Bugatti comme meneur d'hommes et force créatrice chez Bugatti. Ce fut le premier type construit sous sa direction et il intégra de nombreuses innovations pour Bugatti. Son moteur à huit cylindres en ligne et deux arbres à cames en tête de 72 mm d'alésage et 100 mm course déplaçait 3,257 cm3. Le vilebrequin tourillonnait sur cinq paliers principaux. Les arbres à cames étaient entraînés par une cascade de pignons hélicoïdaux située à l'arrière du moteur, la prise de mouvement étant suivie par un sixième support pour le vilebrequin. Des linguets intermédiaires réduisaient la poussée latérale sur les queues de soupapes.

La Type 57 inaugurait aussi chez Bugatti le montage en bloc de la boîte sur le moteur et l'embrayage à disque unique à sec. Les trois rapports supérieurs étaient à crabots et prise constante. Jean avait aussi créé un nouveau système de suspension avant à roues indépendantes à base de ressorts transversaux qui fut monté sur les deux premiers châssis Type 57 avant que le Patron ne s'en aperçût et n'imposât le montage d'un essieu avant rigide tubulaire caractéristique des Bugatti. Par conséquent, la suspension était selon la tradition Bugatti à ressorts semi elliptiques à l'avant et à ressorts quart elliptiques inversés à l'arrière et les freins étaient à commande mécanique par câbles.

Une grande part du succès commercial de la Type 57 peut être attribué aux carrosseries raffinées et fluides de Jean Bugatti qui habillèrent si élégamment les plus célèbres exemplaires du modèle. Les Atalante, Ventoux, Stelvio et la berline Galibier qui concurrencèrent avec bonheur les créations exceptionnelles des meilleurs carrossiers de France et d'Europe représentèrent la plus grande partie de la production de la Type 57. Les acheteurs de Bugatti pouvaient exiger le meilleur, mais majoritairement, ils choisirent les créations de Jean Bugatti.

Malgré l'état des finances, le développement de la Type 57 se poursuivit en 1936 avec l'introduction d'un châssis plus rigide et d'un moteur monté sur caoutchouc ainsi que d'une Type 57 C à compresseur de 160 ch. En 1938, l'impensable survint à Molsheim avec l'adoption – enfin – par Bugatti de freins à commande hydraulique Lockheed et le remplacement des superbes et légères, mais coûteuses roues en aluminium à tambour incorporé par des roues Rudge-Whitworth à rayons fils et serrage central avec tambours séparés. C'est dans ce contexte technique que cette automobile, la Type 57 C Coupé Spécial 57335, fut créée. On a dit parfois qu'elle fut offerte à Ettore Bugatti par les ouvriers de Molsheim comme cadeau d'anniversaire, ce personnel qui l'avait tant déçu quand ils avaient occupé l'usine en 1936.

Quoi qu'il en soit, cette voiture est construite à usage interne de l'Usine en juin 1938. Nous trouvons sa trace dans le registre de fabrication des carrosseries. En effet, le 23 juin 1938 , le véhicule qui sort de l'atelier est consigné sous la dénomination : « 57/486 23.6 57335 vert 2 tons cuir vert ». Cela signifie que dès sa sortie d'Usine, le coach à moteur 486 reçoit la carte grise du châssis « 57335 ». Il ne sera pas le seul véhicule à circuler avec les papiers de « 57335 » qui correspondent à la plaque d'immatriculation « 3738 NV3 », mais il ne possèdera pas d'autre identité pendant toute sa vie à l'Usine de 1938 à 1959.

Peu de temps après sa sortie d'usine ce Coach sera prêté à l'agent Bugatti de Bordeaux, M. Pierron. La voiture sera exposée lors de la Foire de cette ville en 1938. Plusieurs clichés montrent la voiture équipée de pneus cirés, de roues chromées et du toit vitré transparent propre à cette carrosserie. Le fondé de pouvoir de l'Usine Adrien Paul, les représentants itinérants tels Peigues, Wimille, et sans doute Ettore Bugatti lui-même, utilisent l'auto en 1938 et 1939.

Nous retrouvons mention du véhicule dans le « stock des voitures de seconde main de démonstration » consigné le 15 août 1939. Elle est la seule au milieu de dix autres voitures à être libellée « Usine ». La voiture est décrite « Coach Spécial vert moteur 486 Usine ». Elle est souvent prêtée aux pilotes et démonstrateurs de l'Usine. Le plus fameux d'entre eux, Jean-Pierre Wimille, est photographié à son volant en 1939. Après la guerre, ce coach spécial devient la voiture personnelle du directeur de l'Usine, Pierre Marco. Celui-ci circule encore dans les rues de Strasbourg au milieu des années 1950 avec les anciennes plaques « 3738 NV 3 ».

En 1959, le grand négociant belge de Bugatti Jean De Dobbeleer se porte acquéreur de la voiture directement à l'Usine. Elle lui est décrite ainsi par une lettre du 30 janvier 1959 : « Vente de notre voiture 57 à compresseur , dans l'état ou elle se trouve et connu( de vous et après essai, au prix de FRF 1,000,000 , numéro dans la série du type « 57335 », moteur 340, coupé Galibier vert et noir et nous vous confirmons que cette voiture a appartenu à Monsieur Ettore Bugatti et a été employée par la suite par notre directeur général , M. Pierre Marco ».
Cette lettre nous apprend aussi que le montage du compresseur est ancien et date de la période « Usine ».

Dans le registre des Bugatti publié par H.C.G. Conway en 1962, la voiture est décrite comme suit :
« 57 C châssis 57335 moteur 340 ex 57557 Coach Galibier 2 portes 4 places, coloris d'origine en deux tons de vert et cuir vert ». Il est précisé que « le véhicule a reçu de nombreuses modifications durant sa longue carrière à l'Usine. Il possède un moteur de type 101 à compresseur, couplé à une boite Cotal. Le carburateur est un Weber vertical .Les freins sont hydrauliques et d'un modèle spécifique à cette voiture. Les suspensions ont été modifiées et les amortisseurs sont spéciaux.... ».

Nous ne savons pas ce qu'il est advenu du moteur d'origine « 486 », mais le moteur « 340 » qui serait actuellement dans l'auto provient du châssis « 57449 », voiture qui était en stock à l'Usine pendant l'été 1939. Il est fort possible qu'à cette occasion, ce moteur fut repris en échange standard, puis installé dans le Coach Spécial . Il se peut aussi qu'à cette période la voiture fût équipée d'un compresseur. (La boite de vitesse « 486 » est aujourd'hui dans le tank 57G de Fred Simeone, la voiture gagnante des 24 Heures du Mans 1937). La substitution peut dater de la période Usine post course du tank, mais plus certainement de l'époque où les deux autos se trouvaient vers 1960 dans le garage de J. De Dobbeleer à Bruxelles.

Le Coach Spécial présenté à la vente aujourd'hui est la seule Bugatti Type 57 conservée pendant plus de vingt ans par l'Usine. Elle reçut toutes les améliorations possibles et peut être considérée comme un laboratoire roulant utilisé encore au début des années cinquante lors de la sortie du Type 101.

Sa partie la plus caractéristique est sa carrosserie Coupé Spécial dessinée par Jean Bugatti. Intégrant de nombreux traits stylistiques qui allaient s'exprimer pleinement sur la dernière série des berlines Galibier, notamment la plage arrière plongeante, les ailes en goutte d'eau et les flancs rigoureusement plats sans marchepieds. Dans sa version originale, elle avait un unique toit en verre à deux glaces, élément de style que Jean avait utilisé pour la dernière fois sur la superbe Type 41 Royale. La roue de secours garnie est cachée dans le panneau arrière sous un couvercle rond en tôle. La calandre est du modèle classique chez Bugatti et non pas du type en dièdre que Jean introduisait de plus en plus sur les Type 57 de production et les projecteurs placés très bas dans les joues d'aile flattaient encore davantage la prééminence de la calandre traditionnelle.

L'intérieur est garni de cuir vert olive assorti aux teintes vert pâle et noir de la livrée. Du bois précieux encadre les glaces et le pare-brise. Le pare-chocs arrière comporte un inhabituel emblème Bugatti en émail cloisonné.

Signe de la gravité de l'état des finances de l'usine Bugatti, cette voiture à caisse n° 278 reçut le numéro de châssis d'une 57 Torpédo antérieurement détruite déjà immatriculée au nom d'Ettore Bugatti pour éviter de payer les taxes applicables à une voiture neuve.

Au cours des deux années suivantes, jusqu'à la réquisition de l'usine en 1940 par les nazis, elle fut conduite par Ettore Bugatti, par le pilote officiel Jean-Pierre Wimille et d'autres. Avant l'occupation de l'usine, elle fut discrètement emmenée vers une cachette par Robert Benoist qui, dans l'aventure, faillit être pris par les Allemands comme une anticipation de ses futures actions en tant qu'agent secret du British Special Operations Executive (SOE) agissant en France occupée et de son arrestation par la Gestapo avant son exécution au camp de Buchenwald.

Revenue à Molsheim après la guerre, elle devint la monture favorite de Pierre Marco, Directeur Général de Bugatti, et servit couramment de banc d'essai roulant pour de nouvelles solutions et de nouveaux composants. Cet emploi lui valut de recevoir plusieurs éléments uniques et inhabituels, notamment le volant à trois branches du Type 101 et des freins hydrauliques Lockheed, ces derniers n'ayant probablement pas été montés sur une voiture destinée à Ettore Bugatti.

En tant que Type 57 C tardive, en plus de son compresseur – monté par l'usine avant sa cession à son premier propriétaire privé - elle reçut des roues fils Rudge-Whitworth et un moteur à supports caoutchouc. Elle a été aussi équipée pendant son séjour à l'usine d'une radio, d'un chauffage et du système de graissage le plus récent.

Le moteur est lui-même inhabituel qui souligne encore l'usage de cette voiture par l'usine pour des expérimentations et des développements. Elle est alimentée par un carburateur Weber inversé avec une tubulure d'admission à orifice supérieur et un compresseur du type installé sur la Type 101.

Après le départ à la retraite de Pierre Marco, le collectionneur belge de Bugatti Jean de Dobbeleer fut en mesure comme il a été dit d'acheter la voiture le 31 janvier 1959 après vingt années passées au service de l'usine Bugatti. De Dobbeleer répéta la « combine » de l'usine en frappant dans le compartiment moteur le numéro 57557, celui d'une voiture qu'il avait possédée, toujours pour éviter de payer des taxes fiscales. Plus tard dans l'année, elle fut cédée au collectionneur de Bugatti américain Lyman Greenlee d'Anderson (Indiana).

Greenlee dorlota cette Bugatti 57 importante et grandement originale en la stockant et en l'entretenant soigneusement tout en l'utilisant avec parcimonie pendant 14 ans, mais en 1973, il accepta de la vendre à William Howell d'Oklahoma City. Greenlee sentit que Howell, dont le mécanicien était Alf Francis, l'ancien mécanicien de Stirling Moss, appréciait l'histoire unique, l'originalité et les performances de 57335 et qu'il continuerait à la préserver, soulignant à nouveau son importance dans une lettre qui, complétant une vaste documentation, accompagne la voiture. Le propriétaire suivant, Gary Kohs de Birmingham (Michigan), passa un examen semblable afin de vérifier, à la grande satisfaction de Howell, qu'il comprenait et appréciait la signification de 57335 et qu'il pouvait et voulait continuer à la préserver quand elle changea de main en 1982. Greenlee le jugea apte en partie en déclarant sans équivoque : « Le seul paiement du prix ne suffit pas à acquérir la voiture ...Vous devez aussi prouver que vous avez les qualités requises par votre comportement vis-à-vis d'elle. » Ce fut bien le cas car elle vécut vingt-sept ans sans changer de main - pour la quatrième fois seulement depuis son départ de Molsheim en 1959 – quand elle rejoignit la collection de M. John O'Quinn en 2009 en apportant ses carrosserie, spécificités, style et originalité uniques, outre sa provenance Ettore Bugatti, à une collection d'une importance croissante.

Au cours de toutes ces années passées dans les collections de Greenlee, Howell, Kohs et O'Quinn, elle a été rarement exhibée bien que ses liens intimes avec Ettore Bugatti l'eussent fait inviter par les organisateurs au Concours d'élégance de Pebble Beach 1985 en complément de l'apparition historique simultanée des six Royale Type 41.

Elle y fut examinée par les spécialistes dont Hugh Conway qui s'émerveilla de son fabuleux état d'origine. Conway nota son boîtier de direction Durand, une dérogation à la pratique Bugatti, mais il prit contact avec Noël Domboy qui confirma qu'il avait insisté auprès de Pierre Marco pour qu'il fît remplacer le boîtier Bugatti normal afin d'éviter un éventuel problème.

L'originalité de son état et son intégrité sont étonnantes et jusqu'au faisceau et aux organes électriques. Toutes les finitions sont telles qu'elles furent choisies par Bugatti il y a 75 ans. En plus de l'épais dossier de documentation, elle possède dans une trousse de cuir un jeu complet d'outils frappés « EB ». Les planchers, capot et caisse sont frappés de leurs numéros d'origine. Le toit en verre d'origine qui a été changé avant sa vente par l'usine peut être facilement refait sans gâcher le caractère par ailleurs préservé et original de la voiture.

Mais elle est aussi très rapide, résultat de la continuité de son développement par Molsheim et surtout de son moteur spécial, de son système d'alimentation et de son compresseur. Jamais démontée, c'est un plaisir à conduire qui montre bien ce que l'on ressentait en pilotant une Type 57 C neuve sortant juste de l'usine Bugatti. On comprend qu'elle fut la Bugatti préférée de Pierre Marco.

Sa carrosserie unique signée Jan Bugatti, son moteur suralimenté très développé, sa superbe originalité, ses vingt ans d'histoire comme véhicule de développement de l'usine et, plus important, son association personnelle avec Ettore Bugatti qui l'a conduite en font une des Bugatti les plus importantes et les plus significatives disponibles depuis des années.

C'est un morceau intime et personnel de l'histoire de la marque et du Patron, vierge de toute restauration et embelli par ses liens avec Ettore et Jean Bugatti, Jean-Pierre Wimille, Robert Benoist, Pierre Marco et une petite élite de collectionneurs qui l'ont chérie et préservée pour les générations futures.

Nous adressons nos plus vifs remerciements à M. Pierre-Yves Laugier pour les précieuses informations qu'il nous a transmises en décembre 2012 concernant les origines et l'historique de « 57335 ».

Footnotes

  • The ex-Ettore Bugatti
    1938 Bugatti Type 57C Special Coupé
    Chassis no. 57335
    Engine no. 340

    There are many special Bugattis. There are even more famed and important owners of Bugattis. But no Bugatti, not even the Type 41 Royales that resided in Molsheim for years, is more closely identified with Le Patron, Ettore Bugatti, than this Type 57C Special Coupé. Even more significant and poignant is its parallel identification with Ettore's older son, Jean, who designed its unique coachwork, believed to be the last design to come from his talented creativity.

    The Type 57 Bugatti, introduced in 1934, marked Jean Bugatti's emergence as Bugatti's leader and creative force. It was the first new model built under his direction and it incorporated many features new to Bugatti. Its dual overhead camshaft eight cylinder engine had dimensions of 72x100mm, 3,257cc displacement. The crankshaft ran in five main bearings. The camshafts were driven by a train of helical-tooth gears at the engine's rear with a further crankshaft bearing behind them. Finger cam followers minimized side thrust on the valve stems.

    The Type 57 also was Bugatti's first use of a transmission fixed to the engine crankcase and a single plate clutch. The top three gears in the four-speed gearbox were constant mesh.
    Jean created a novel independent front suspension system using transverse leaf springs for the first two examples of the Type 57 before Le Patron spied it and insisted it be replaced by a proper Bugatti hollow tubular live axle. Thenceforth suspension was traditional Bugatti semi-elliptical front and reversed quarter-elliptical rear leaf springs with cable-operated mechanical drum brakes.

    Much of the Type 57's commercial success may be attributed to Jean Bugatti's sensitive, flowing coachwork which graced the most famous of the chassis' examples. Atalante, Ventoux, Stelvio and the Galibier sedan vied with the best of France's and Europe's formidable coachbuilders' creations and comprised the bulk of Type 57 production. Bugatti's clients could have the best, but overwhelmingly they chose Jean Bugatti's designs on the Type 57.

    Despite financial travail development of the Type 57 continued with introduction of a stiffened frame and rubber-mounted engine along with the supercharged 160hp Type 57C in 1936. In 1938 the nearly unthinkable happened in Molsheim when Bugatti finally adopted Lockheed hydraulically-actuated brakes and replaced the beautiful and lightweight but expensive aluminum-spoked wheels and brake drums with Rudge-Whitworth centerlock wire wheels and separate brake drums. It was in this context that this car, Type 57C Special Coupé 57335, was created. Some accounts have it that it was presented to Ettore Bugatti by the Molsheim work force as a birthday gift, workers who had so disappointed Ettore when they occupied the factory in 1936.

    Whatever the precise motif this car was built in June 1938 for 'in house' factory duties. It appears in the body shop files just completed on June 23, 1938, under the designation « 57/486 23.6 57335 green 2 tone green leather ». This means that just out of the factory the coupe with engine "486" was given the "carte grise" belonging to chassis "57335". It will not be the only car driven with the documents of "57335" with the registration number "3738 NV3", but it will keep this identity during its entire life at the factory from 1938 to 1959.

    Some time after it left the factory this coupe was loaned to the Bugatti agent in Bordeaux, Mr. Pierron. The car was exhibited at the 1938 Bordeaux Fair. Several pictures show the car fitted with polished tyres, chrome plated wheels and the glass roof special to this body. The factory managing director Adrien Paul, the commercial traveller/ representatives like Peigues, Wimille and possibly Ettore Bugatti himself drove this car in 1938 and 1939.

    Mention of the car is made in the register of the "second hand demonstration cars stock" written on August 15, 1939. It is the only one among ten cars to be designated "Usine" or 'Works' and described as follows « Coach Spécial vert moteur 486 Usine ».
    It was often loaned to the factory racing drivers and demonstrators and the most famous, Jean-Pierre Wimille, was pictured at its wheel in 1939. After the war the special coupe was the personal car of the factory executive director, Pierre Marco, who drove it as late as the mid-50s still with the old registration plate "3738 NV3".

    In 1959 the famous Bugatti collector and dealer in Belgium Jean De Dobbeleer bought the car directly from the factory. It is described in a letter dated Jan. 30, 1959 as follows: "Sale of our car 57 with supercharger which is in the condition you know and after a test drive, price FRF 1,000,000, serial number "57335" engine "340" Galibier coupe finished in green over black and we confirm that this car belonged to Monsieur Ettore Bugatti and was driven latterly by our general manager Mr. Pierre Marco".
    This letter also informs us that the supercharger had been fitted earlier when the 57 was still a factory car.

    In the register edited by H.G.C. Conway in 1962 the car is described as follows:
    "57 C chassis 57335 engine 340 ex. 57557 two door four seat Coach Galibier, original finish two tones of green and green leather". He added that "the vehicle received many changes when it was the property of the factory. It is fitted with a Type 101 engine with S/C associated with a Cotal gearbox. The carburettor is a downdraught Weber. Brakes are hydraulically operated and special to this car. Suspensions were modified with special dampers..."

    What happened to the original engine "486" remains unknown but the engine "340" which would be in the car comes from the chassis "57449" which was stored at the factory in the summer of 1939. It is quite possible that this engine was traded-in and subsequently fitted in the "Coach Spécial". It is also possible that the supercharger had been fitted at the same time. (The gearbox "486" is now in Fred Simeone's 57 G "tank", the 1937 Le Mans winning car.) The change could have been made when the "tank" was kept by the factory after its racing time, but more possibly when the two cars were in De Dobbeleer's garage in Brussels.

    Thus the "Coach Spécial" offered here is the only Type 57 Bugatti kept during twenty years by the factory. Benefiting from all kinds of possible improvements it can be seen as a rolling laboratory still in use in the early 50s when the Type 101 was introduced.

    Its most distinctive element is the Special Coupé coachwork designed by Jean Bugatti. Incorporating many of the design elements that would soon find expression in the last series of Galibier saloons, particularly its sloping rear deck, teardrop fenders and plain sides without running boards. As originally built it had a unique two-piece glass roof, a design element Jean had last used on the magnificent Type 41 Royale. Its spare wheel and tire are set into the rear deck with a round metal cover. The grille is the conventional Bugatti design, not the veed design Jean was increasingly working into Type 57 production, and the headlights sit low in the front fender aprons giving the traditional grille special prominence.

    The interior is trimmed in light olive leather complementing the light green over black exterior livery. Rich wood surrounds the windows and windshield. The rear bumper bears an unusual cloisonné Bugatti emblem.

    In an indication of Bugatti's financial distress this car, frame number 278, was assigned the chassis number of a previously destroyed Type 57 Torpedo registered in Ettore Bugatti's name, thus avoiding tax as a new car.

    During the next two years, until the factory was taken over in 1940 by the Nazis, it was used by Ettore Bugatti, by factory driver Jean-Pierre Wimille and others. Prior to the factory's occupation it was spirited away to a hiding place by Robert Benoist. His adventure nearly resulted in his capture, foreshadowing his later adventures as a secret agent of the British Special Operations Executive (SOE) in occupied France and ultimate capture and execution at Buchenwald in 1944.

    Returned to Bugatti after the war it became the favorite car of Pierre Marco, Director General of Bugatti, and was frequently used to test new ideas and components and for development. This use brought it a number of unique and unusual features, notably the three-spoke Type 101 steering wheel and Lockheed hydraulic brakes – the latter a feature surely not incorporated in a car intended for Ettore Bugatti's use.

    As a late Type 57C in addition to its supercharged engine – fitted by the factory before it was sold to its first private owner – it has Rudge-Whitworth wire wheels and the rubber-mounted engine. It also was fitted during its period with the factory with a radio, heater and later grease fittings.

    The engine itself is unusual, again pointing out the Bugatti factory's use of this car for experimental and development purposes. It breathes through a downdraft Weber carburetor with a top inlet manifold and has a supercharger similar to that used on the Type 101.

    Upon M. Marco's retirement and as already mentioned, Belgian Bugatti exponent Jean de Dobbeleer was able to acquire it on January 31. De Dobbeleer mimicked the factory's earlier ruse, stamping the engine compartment with 57557, a car he had previously owned, thus once again avoiding tax.Later in 1959 it was sold to American Bugatti enthusiast Lyman Greenlee of Anderson, Indiana.

    Greenlee treasured this important and highly original Bugatti Type 57, carefully storing, maintaining and rarely using it for the next fourteen years but in 1973 he agreed to sell it to William Howell in Oklahoma City. Greenlee felt Howell, whose mechanic was Stirling Moss's former mechanic Alf Francis, appreciated 57335's unique history, originality and performance and would continue its preservation, reiterating the car's importance in a letter that, part of an extensive documentation file, accompanies the car.
    The next owner, Gary Kohs of Birmingham, Michigan, passed a similar background check to verify to Howell's satisfaction that he understood and appreciated 57335's significance and would, and could, continue its preservation when it changed hands in 1982. Greenlee qualified him in part by stating unequivocally, "Price alone will not buy the car.... You must qualify also as to your attitude toward it." That proved to be the case, as it was twenty-seven years until ownership changed again, only the fourth time since it left Molsheim in 1959, when it became part of John M. O'Quinn's collection in 2009 adding its unique coachwork, features, design, originality and Ettore Bugatti provenance to the collection's growing eminence.

    In all the years in the collections of Greenlee, Howell, Kohs and O'Quinn it has rarely been shown, however its intimate connection with Ettore Bugatti caused it to be invited by the organizers of the Pebble Beach Concours d'Elegance in 1985 to complement the historic appearance of all six Bugatti Type 41 Royales.

    It has been examined by experts including Hugh Conway who have marvelled at its completely original condition. Conway noted its Durand steering box as a departure from Bugatti practice but contacted Noël Domboy who confirmed that he had instructed Pierre Marco to replace the standard Bugatti steering box to avoid a possible mishap.

    Its condition is breathtakingly original and complete, right down to the wiring harness and electrical components. Finishes throughout the car are as they were applied by Bugatti three-quarters of a century ago. In addition to its extensive file of documentation it has a complete set of "EB" stamped tools in a leather folder. The floorboards, bonnet and body have their original number stampings. Its original two-panel glass roof was removed before it was sold by the factory, but could easily be re-created without compromising the otherwise overall originality and preservation.

    It is also unusually quick, a consequence of its continuing development in Molsheim and particularly its special engine, induction system and supercharger. Having never been apart it is delightful to drive, exhibiting how it felt to drive a Type 57C fresh from the Bugatti factory. No wonder it was Pierre Marco's favorite Bugatti.

    Its unique Jean Bugatti-designed coachwork, highly developed supercharged engine, magnificent originality, twenty year history as the factory's development vehicle and most importantly its personal association with and use by Ettore Bugatti make this one of the most significant and important Bugattis to become available in years.

    It is an intimate, personal part of the history of the Bugatti marque and its Patron, Ettore Bugatti, unsullied by restoration and embellished by its association with Ettore and Jean Bugatti, Jean-Pierre Wimille, Robert Benoist, Pierre Marco and a short list of owners who cherished and preserved it for future generations.

    We address our special thanks to Mr. Pierre-Yves Laugier for all the information he has made available to us in December 2012 concerning the origin and the life of "57335".
Auction information

This auction is now finished. If you are interested in consigning in future auctions, please contact the specialist department. If you have queries about lots purchased in this auction, please contact customer services.

Buyers' Obligations

ALL BIDDERS MUST AGREE THAT THEY HAVE READ AND UNDERSTOOD BONHAMS' CONDITIONS OF SALE AND AGREE TO BE BOUND BY THEM, AND AGREE TO PAY THE BUYER'S PREMIUM AND ANY OTHER CHARGES MENTIONED IN THE NOTICE TO BIDDERS. THIS AFFECTS THE BIDDERS LEGAL RIGHTS.

If you have any complaints or questions about the Conditions of Sale, please contact your nearest customer services team.

Buyers' Premium and Charges

For all Sales categories excluding Wine, Coins & Medals and Motor Cars and Motorcycles:

Buyer's Premium Rates
25% on the first €50,000 of the Hammer Price
20% from €50,001 to €1,000,000 the Hammer Price
12% on the excess over €1,000,000 of the Hammer Price

TVA at the current rate of 20% will be added to the Buyer's Premium and charges.

Shipping Notices

For information and estimates on domestic and international shipping as well as export licences please contact Bonhams Shipping Department.

Contacts
  1. Paris
    Auction Administration - Motor Cars
    Bonhams
    Work
    Work +33 1 42 61 10 10
  2. Philip Kantor
    Specialist - Motor Cars
    Bonhams
    Work
    Boulevard Saint-Michel 101
    Brussels, Belgium 1040
    Work +32 476 879 471