1939 Horch 853 A convertible,
Lot 559*
1939 Horch 853A Cabriolet Chassis no. 854383 Engine no. 400.884.754
Sold for €379,500 (US$ 513,008) inc. premium
Lot Details
1939 Horch 853A Cabriolet
Chassis no. 854383
Engine no. 400.884.754
Un des pères fondateurs de l'industrie automobile allemande, August Horch, né à Winningen en 1868, suivit les cours de mécanique d'une école technique et travailla chez un constructeur de moteurs marins à Leipzig. Devenu ensuite directeur de l'usine automobile de Karl Benz à Mannheim, la frustration née du conservatisme de son employeur le poussa à rechercher un soutien financier pour lancer sa propre affaire qui finit par être enregistrée sous la raison sociale Horch & Cie Motorwagenwerke AG en 1904 à Zwickau en Saxe.

Horch jugeait dépassées les « voitures sans chevaux » à moteur arrière de Benz et sa première automobile en 1900 fut dotée d'un moteur bicylindre avant et d'un essieu arrière moteur entraîné par arbre, une première en Allemagne. Des modèles plus grands à quatre et six cylindres suivirent et Horch s'engagea activement dans les épreuves routières et de régularité de l'époque jusqu'à ce que cette politique déclenche des conflits avec ses associés qui le forcèrent à démissionner en 1909 pour fonder une nouvelle entreprise. Appelée « Audi » à partir de 1910, la nouvelle affaire de Horch devait plus tard s'unir avec la société originelle dans le cadre d'Auto Union.

En 1923, la société Horch engagea Paul Daimler, fils de Gottlieb, comme ingénieur en chef et la première automobile portant sa griffe fut la « 300 » dotée d'un moteur de 3,2 litres à huit cylindres en ligne et deux ACT. Horch privilégia ce type de moteur dans les années 1920 et 1930. Après le départ de Daimler, Fritz Fiedler (plus connu par la suite chez BMW) reprit son poste et dessina un huit en ligne à 1 ACT – le Horch 450 – suivi par les modèles 600 et 670 à moteur V12 de 6 litres en 1931 et par la 830 B à moteur V8 de 3,5 litres en 1933.

En 1932, la firme entra dans Auto Union avec Audi, DKW et Wanderer. Horch produisit une quantité considérable de variantes de modèles dans les années 1930 en annonçant fièrement les changements de cylindrée, d'empattement et de style de carrosserie, mais en visant uniquement le marché du luxe sur lequel Horch était le seul concurrent national sérieux de Mercedes-Benz. Introduite pour l'année 1936, la Type 853 de 4,9 litres était dotée d'un moteur signé Fiedler, un huit en ligne à 1 ACT et dix paliers installé dans un robuste châssis pourvu d'une boîte de vitesses à quatre rapports et surmultiplicateur et freins hydrauliques assistés. Un élégant et rapide (140 km/h) cabriolet sport, le 853, fut produit jusqu'à la déclaration de guerre, date à laquelle 950 unités seulement de ces voitures exclusives avaient été fabriquées.

Après la fin de la Seconde Guerre mondiale, l'usine Horch de Zwickau se retrouva dans la zone d'occupation soviétique dans l'Allemagne divisée où elle dut se consacrer à la production de la très modeste et utilitaire Trabant - une triste fin pour une noble marque qui avait fait partie de l'élite des constructeurs mondiaux.

Le châssis n° 854383 fut acheté par le propriétaire actuel (le troisième) en janvier 1997 avant la fin d'une restauration de 10 ans effectuée par le spécialiste reconnu Egon Zweimüller GmbH d'Ennsweg en Autriche qui l'acheva en 1999. Le détail des travaux figure sur les factures du dossier pour un total de plus de 713 000 schillings autrichiens.

Peinte en beige et noir avec intérieur noir, la voiture est décrite par le vendeur comme étant en excellent état général pour avoir bénéficié des attentions du spécialiste Hans Schori. Ce rare pur sang allemand complété de son hard-top est offert avec les factures susmentionnées, le manuel d'utilisation, le Fahrzeugbrief allemand périmé et ses papiers d'immatriculation suisses.

1939 Horch 853A Cabriolet
Chassis no. 854383
Engine no. 400.884.754

One of the founding fathers of the German automobile industry, August Horch was born in Winningen in 1868, and following an technical education at engineering school, worked for a marine engine manufacturer in Leipzig. His next job was managing Karl Benz's motor works at Mannheim, but frustration with his employer's conservative approach prompted Horch to seek financial backing for his own venture, which would be incorporated as Horch & Cie Motorwagenwerke AG in 1904 in Zwickau, Saxony.

Horch regarded Benz's rear-engined 'horseless carriages' as outdated, and his first automobile of 1900 featured a front-mounted, twin-cylinder engine and shaft-driven rear axle, the first time this latter innovation had been seen in Germany. Larger four- and six-cylinder models followed, and Horch became active in the trials and competitions of the day, though ultimately this policy would bring August into conflict with his fellow directors and force his departure in 1909 to found a new company. Known from 1910 as 'Audi', Horch's new venture would later be united with his original company as part of the Auto Union

In 1923 Horch engaged Paul Daimler, son of Gottleib, as Chief Engineer, the first car to bear his stamp being the '300'. This was powered by a 3.2-litre, double-overhead-camshaft, straight eight engine, and power units of this type would be favoured by Horch throughout the 1920s and 1930s. After Daimler's departure Fritz Fiedler (later of BMW fame) took over, designing a single-overhead-cam straight-eight - the Horch 450 - which was followed by 6-litre V12-powered 600 and 670 models in 1931 and the 3.5-litre V8-engined 830B in 1933.

In 1932 the company became part of the Auto Union together with Audi, DKW and Wanderer. Horch produced a veritable plethora of model variations in the 1930s, ringing the changes on engine capacity, wheelbase and styles of coachwork, but all were aimed squarely at the prestige end of the market, where Horch was the only serious domestic rival to Mercedes-Benz. Introduced for the 1936 season, the 4.9-litre Type 853 was powered by a Fiedler-designed, single-overhead-camshaft, ten-bearing straight eight mounted in a solidly built chassis boasting a four-speed overdrive gearbox and servo-assisted hydraulic brakes. A stylish and fast (140km/h) sports cabriolet, the 853 was produced up to the outbreak of WW2, by which time only 950 of these exclusive cars had been built.

After WW2, Horch's Zwickau factory ended up on the eastern side of a divided Germany where it would eventually be pressed into service manufacturing the utilitarian Trabant - a sad end to a once noble marque that had ranked among the world's very best.

Chassis number '854383' was acquired by the current (third) owner in January 1997, part-way through a ten-year restoration carried out by specialist restorer Egon Zweimüller GmbH of Ennsweg, Austria, which was completed in 1999. Details of the works undertaken may be found in invoices on file totalling in excess of 713,000 Austrian schillings.

Finished in beige/black with black interior, the car is described by the vendor as in generally excellent condition, having benefited from the regular expert attention of Hans Schori. This rare German thoroughbred comes complete with hardtop and is offered with the aforementioned invoices, operating instructions, expired German Fahrzeugbrief and current Swiss registration papers.

Saleroom notices

  • Operating instructions missing. Swiss registration documents and German Fahrzeugbrief are copy documents only.
Activities
Auction information

This auction is now finished. If you are interested in consigning in future auctions, please contact the specialist department. If you have queries about lots purchased in this auction, please contact customer services.

Buyers' Obligations

ALL BIDDERS MUST AGREE THAT THEY HAVE READ AND UNDERSTOOD BONHAMS' CONDITIONS OF SALE AND AGREE TO BE BOUND BY THEM, AND AGREE TO PAY THE BUYER'S PREMIUM AND ANY OTHER CHARGES MENTIONED IN THE NOTICE TO BIDDERS. THIS AFFECTS THE BIDDERS LEGAL RIGHTS.

If you have any complaints or questions about the Conditions of Sale, please contact your nearest customer services team.

Buyers' Premium and Charges

For all Sales categories excluding Wine, Coins & Medals and Motor Cars and Motorcycles:

Buyer's Premium Rates
25% on the first €50,000 of the Hammer Price
20% from €50,001 to €1,000,000 the Hammer Price
12% on the excess over €1,000,000 of the Hammer Price

TVA at the current rate of 20% will be added to the Buyer's Premium and charges.

Shipping Notices

For information and estimates on domestic and international shipping as well as export licences please contact Bonhams Shipping Department.

Lot symbols
* Import low rate
Contacts
  1. Paris
    Auction Administration - Motor Cars
    Bonhams
    Work
    Work +33 1 42 61 10 10
  2. Philip Kantor
    Specialist - Motor Cars
    Bonhams
    Work
    Boulevard Saint-Michel 101
    Brussels, Belgium 1040
    Work +32 476 879 471