1950 Talbot-Lago Record ‘Grand Sport’ Cabriolet 102028
Lot 544
Exposée au Concours d'Elégance de Pebble Beach,1950 Talbot-Lago Record 'Grand Sport' Cabriolet Chassis no. 102028 Engine no. 26531
Sold for €287,500 (US$ 379,155) inc. premium
Lot Details
Exposée au Concours d'Elégance de Pebble Beach
1950 Talbot-Lago Record 'Grand Sport' Cabriolet
Coachwork by Graber

Chassis no. 102028
Engine no. 26531
La marque Talbot-Lago apparut en 1935 quand le Major A. E. « Anthony » Lago prit le contrôle de la filiale française du groupe Sunbeam-Talbot-Darracq en faillite. L'histoire de Talbot avait débuté au xixe siècle quand l'industriel français Adolphe Clément qui avait fait fortune dans les cycles et les pneus se diversifia dans la construction automobile. Associé au Comte de Shewsbury (Lord Talbot), il fonda une usine d'assemblage à Londres en 1905 et les voitures importées ou assemblées localement prirent tout naturellement le nom de « Clément-Talbot ». Les voitures eurent du succès et, en 1913, leur réputation bénéficia de l'exploit de Percy Lambert qui, à Brooklands, réussit le premier à parcourir plus de 160 km dans l'heure.

En 1919, Clément-Talbot fut cédée à Darracq et entra dans le groupe Sunbeam-Talbot-Darracq (STD). Les choses se compliquèrent encore lorsqu'en 1922, la branche française de la société commença à vendre ses propres voitures sous la marque Talbot-Darracq puis Talbot. Entre-temps, la branche britannique continua à produire des Talbot et des Sunbeam dans des usines séparées jusqu'à ce qu'à son tour, elle fût reprise par Rootes en 1935.

Ce fut à la suite de la reprise par Rootes que l'ingénieur Anthony Lago parvenu à la direction de la partie française de STD décida de racheter Darracq (Talbot-Darracq en France). Il introduisit très vite une nouvelle gamme de six-cylindres caractérisée par des moteurs à soupapes en tête de diverses cylindrées. Pour ces nouveaux moteurs, l'ingénieur Walter Becchia utilisa des soupapes commandées par culbuteurs logées dans des culasses hémisphériques pour obtenir un meilleur rendement et cette architecture allait devenir une caractéristique des Talbot françaises. Parmi ces nouveaux modèles, la T150 C ou « Lago Spécial » attira tout particulièrement l'attention des connaisseurs. La « Lago Spécial » était équipée de ce qui était en fait un moteur de Grand Prix spécialement conçu pour l'éphémère formule française des Grands Prix Sport introduite en 1936.

Développé à partir du six-cylindres T120 de trois litres, le moteur T150 C fut porté à quatre litres et doté d'un robuste vilebrequin à sept paliers (quatre sur le T120) et de chemises en acier nitruré. L'admission comprenait un ensemble spécial de trois carburateurs Zénith inversés et, en version course, ce moteur développait environ 155 ch contre 140 pour la route. La version sport compétition à châssis court qui dépassait 177 km/h se montra aussitôt efficace en compétition en prenant les trois premières places du Grand Prix de l'ACF 1937 à Montlhéry et au Tourist Trophy à Donington Park.

Pendant la Seconde Guerre mondiale, Lago conçut un nouveau moteur de 4, 5 litres à 2 arbres à cames latéraux qui, après la guerre, servit à propulser les monoplaces Talbot-Lago de Grand Prix et la voiture de Louis Rosier vainqueur au Mans en 1950. Respectant la tradition de Talbot-Lago, ce moteur moderne servit aussi à propulser le fleuron de la gamme Talbot routière, la rare et originale Grand Sport châssis court. Avec ses 190 ch (220 à partir de 1953), la Grand Sport devint brièvement la voiture de sport la plus puissante et la plus rapide du monde. Les versions Record utilisaient un moteur moins poussé (170 ch) à culasse en fonte mais sur demande spéciale, on pouvait faire installer un moteur compétition comme c'est le cas de ce cabriolet carrossé par Graber. Selon le registre Talbot-Lago, 32 voitures furent ainsi équipées dont on connaît actuellement 16 survivantes dans le monde.

La Carrosserie Graber, suisse, débuta ses activités automobiles dans les années 1920 quand Hermann Graber, suivit les traces de son père fabricant de voitures hippomobiles. Graber développa bientôt son propre style bien équilibré et la qualité de son travail se retrouva sur des châssis français, italiens et anglais dont Bentley et Rolls-Royce. Les caisses Graber étaient toutes réalisées « sur mesures » et exécutées à la perfection. Ses créations survivent aujourd'hui non seulement comme des témoignages d'un artisanat de grande qualité, mais aussi comme une source d'inspiration pour d'autres stylistes.

La voiture proposée ici fut livrée à la Carrosserie Graber le 2 novembre 1950 sous la forme d'un châssis Record équipé d'un moteur Grand Sport à culasse aluminium et trois carburateurs. La voiture passa la première partie de sa vie en Suisse avant d'arriver aux Etats-Unis vers 1965 trouvant son premier propriétaire américain en Pennsylvanie. En 1985, la Record fut achetée par la célèbre Bahre Museum Collection dans le Maine. Toujours dans son état d'origine, la voiture fut peu utilisée par la famille Bahre. En 1998, elle fut vendue au restaurateur Jerome Sauls qui entreprit une restauration totale sans considération de prix. La voiture fut exposée à Pebble Beach en 2000 puis revint dans une collection européenne. Elle est proposée ici avec son Certificate of Title américain mais les taxes européennes ont été acquittées.

Former Pebble Beach Concours d'Elégance entrant
1950 Talbot-Lago Record 'Grand Sport' Cabriolet
Coachwork by Carrosserie Graber
Chassis no. 102028
Engine no. 26531

The Talbot-Lago marque came into being in 1935 when Major A E 'Tony' Lago purchased the French branch of the bankrupt Sunbeam-Talbot-Darracq combine. The Talbot story had begun at the end of the 19th Century when Adolphe Clément, a French industrialist who had made a fortune making bicycles and tyres, diversified into the manufacture of motor cars. In association with The Earl of Shrewsbury (Lord Talbot), he set up an assembly plant in London in 1905 and the imported/locally-assembled cars were naturally enough called 'Clement-Talbots'. The cars proved successful and in 1913 their reputation was bolstered by Percy Lambert who, at Brooklands, became the first ever driver to cover 100 miles in an hour.

In 1919 Clement-Talbot was sold to Darracq, becoming part of the Sunbeam-Talbot-Darracq (STD) combine. Things became increasingly confusing in 1922 when the French arm of the company started to sell its own cars as Talbot-Darracqs and then as Talbots. Meanwhile the British arm continued to produce Talbot and Sunbeam cars at separate factories until they in turn were both taken over by Rootes in 1935.

It was following the Rootes buyout that Italian-born Tony Lago, a trained engineer who had risen to become head of STD's French operations, decided to purchase Darracq. He immediately set about introducing a new range of six-cylinder models featuring advanced overhead-valve engines in a range of capacities. For these new engines, designer Walter Becchia used pushrod-operated valves set in hemispherical combustion chambers for maximum efficiency, and this pattern of cylinder head would become a Talbot hallmark. Of the new models, it was the T150C or 'Lago Special' that brought the new company to the public's attention. The Lago Special was powered by what was effectively a Grand Prix engine, specially designed for the short-lived French Sports Car Grand Prix formula that had been introduced in 1936.

Developed from the 3.0-litre T120 power unit, the T150C engine was enlarged to 4.0 litres, endowed with a massive seven-bearing crankshaft (the T120 had four bearings) and nitrided steel cylinder liners. Induction was by a very special triple down-draught Zenith carburettor installation, and in race tune this engine developed some 155bhp, with around 140 horsepower available in road trim. The short chassis sports-racing version was good for a top speed in excess of 177km/h (110mph) and would prove immediately successful in competitions, taking the first three places both at the 1937 French Grand Prix at Montlhéry and the Tourist Trophy at Donington Park.

During WW2 a new twin-camshaft '2AC' engine of 4.5 litres was designed, which after the war's end was used to power Talbot-Lago's successful Grand Prix monoposto and Louis Rosier's 1950 Le Mans winner. In keeping with Talbot-Lago tradition, this state-of-the art power unit was also used for the company's flagship road car, the rare and exotic short-chassis Grand Sport. With 190bhp on tap (220bhp from 1953) the Grand Sport was, for a while, the world's most powerful and fastest sports car. The Record models used a less highly tuned (170bhp) engine with a cast-iron cylinder head, though on special request some were delivered with the competition engine installed, as in the case of this Graber-bodied cabriolet. According to the Talbot-Lago register, 32 cars were so equipped, of which only 16 survivors are known worldwide.

The Swiss Carrosserie Graber started its automotive activities in the 1920s, when Hermann Graber followed the footsteps of his father, who was a maker of horse-drawn carriages. Graber soon developed his own well balanced style and his high quality bodywork was found on French, Italian and English rolling chassis, Bentley and Rolls-Royce among them. Graber bodies were all 'tailor-made' to the customers' specifications and executed to perfection. His beautiful coachwork survives today not only as a testament to fine craftsmanship but also as an inspiration for other designers.

The car offered here was delivered to Carrosserie Graber on 2nd November 1950 as a Record rolling chassis fitted with the aluminium 'head, triple-carburettor Grand Sport engine. The car resided in Switzerland for the first part of its life before coming to the USA circa 1965, finding its first US owner in Pennsylvania. In 1985 the Record was acquired by the world famous Bahre Museum Collection in Maine. Still in original condition, the car was rarely used by the Bahre family. In 1998 it was sold to restorer Jerome Sauls who carried out an extensive concours standard restoration. The car was shown at Pebble Beach in 2000 and then returned to a European collection. It is offered with US Certificate of Title. EU taxes have been paid.
Auction information

This auction is now finished. If you are interested in consigning in future auctions, please contact the specialist department. If you have queries about lots purchased in this auction, please contact customer services.

Buyers' Obligations

ALL BIDDERS MUST AGREE THAT THEY HAVE READ AND UNDERSTOOD BONHAMS' CONDITIONS OF SALE AND AGREE TO BE BOUND BY THEM, AND AGREE TO PAY THE BUYER'S PREMIUM AND ANY OTHER CHARGES MENTIONED IN THE NOTICE TO BIDDERS. THIS AFFECTS THE BIDDERS LEGAL RIGHTS.

If you have any complaints or questions about the Conditions of Sale, please contact your nearest customer services team.

Buyers' Premium and Charges

For all Sales categories excluding Wine, Coins & Medals and Motor Cars and Motorcycles:

Buyer's Premium Rates
25% on the first €50,000 of the Hammer Price
20% from €50,001 to €1,000,000 the Hammer Price
12% on the excess over €1,000,000 of the Hammer Price

TVA at the current rate of 20% will be added to the Buyer's Premium and charges.

Shipping Notices

For information and estimates on domestic and international shipping as well as export licences please contact Bonhams Shipping Department.

Contacts
  1. Paris
    Auction Administration - Motor Cars
    Bonhams
    Work
    Work +33 1 42 61 10 10
  2. Philip Kantor
    Specialist - Motor Cars
    Bonhams
    Work
    Boulevard Saint-Michel 101
    Brussels, Belgium 1040
    Work +32 476 879 471