1956 Aston Martin DB2/4 Mark II Notchback
Lot 538
1956 Aston Martin DB2/4 MkII Coupé Chassis no. AM300/1241
€155,000 - 185,000
US$ 200,000 - 230,000
amended

Lot Details
1956 Aston Martin DB2/4 Mark II Notchback 1956 Aston Martin DB2/4 Mark II Notchback 1956 Aston Martin DB2/4 Mark II Notchback 1956 Aston Martin DB2/4 Mark II Notchback 1956 Aston Martin DB2/4 Mark II Notchback 1956 Aston Martin DB2/4 Mark II Notchback 1956 Aston Martin DB2/4 Mark II Notchback 1956 Aston Martin DB2/4 Mark II Notchback 1956 Aston Martin DB2/4 Mark II Notchback 1956 Aston Martin DB2/4 Mark II Notchback
1956 Aston Martin DB2/4 MkII Coupé
Coachwork by Carrosserie Tickford

Chassis no. AM300/1241
La nécessité d'élargir l'audience de la déjà réussie DB2 conduisit au lancement en octobre 1953 de la DB2/4 2+2. Par ailleurs, la DB2/4 restait très semblable à la DB2 en conservant le châssis en tubes rectangulaires de celle-ci, la suspension avant indépendante à bras tirés et le pont arrière rigide bien guidé. Le moteur six cylindres de 2,6 litres à 2 ACT conçu par W.O. Bentley en version Vantage poussée à 125 ch fut standard sur la 2/4.

Le rachat de Tickford Ltd par David Brown en 1953 explique que le modèle Mk II révisé lancé au Salon de Londres en octobre 1955 fût carrossé par la firme de Newport Pagnell. Pour la première fois, un troisième type de carrosserie fut proposé, un coupé hard-top notch back avec coffre saillant. Très séduisant, ce dernier offrait des sièges identiques au cabriolet, mais au prix du coupé sport trois portes.

Si la mécanique différait peu de la précédente, la DB2/4 Mk II était facilement identifiable par une subtile altération des lignes, la modification la plus significative étant un rehaussement de 19 mm du toit donnant davantage d'espace à l'intérieur. Des clignotants de direction et de discrets ailerons firent leur apparition en même temps que des moulures chromées entre le passage de roue avant et la feuillure de la porte sous lesquelles les flancs du capot étaient désormais fixes, ce qui allégeait la partie ouvrante. L'intérieur offrait de meilleurs sièges et un frein à main à encliquetage positif (fly off). Le « six » d'Aston qui avait été porté de 2,6 à 3 litres en cours de production de la DB2/4 Mk I ne fut pas modifié sur le Mk II, mais une série spéciale de moteurs VB6J avec suffixe « L » ou « L1 » donnant 165 ch devint disponible en option. Sur les 199 DB2/4 Mk II produites jusqu'en octobre 1957, la majorité furent des conduites intérieures « coach à hayon », 24, des cabriolets, 34 des coupés hard-top et 4 des châssis nus.

Sur les 34 coupés hard-top produits, 16 furent livrés au Royaume-Uni, ce qui fait de la voiture présentée ici l'une des plus rares et des plus désirables parmi les Aston d'après guerre. Le châssis numéro « AM300/1241 » fut livré le 22 novembre 1956 à l'agent Aston Martin/Lagonda Brooklands de Bond Street puis vendu à Ashtons Development, producteur d'acier basé dans l'Essex. Parmi les spécificités encore présentes aujourd'hui, notons les carters en aluminium non polis, le volant à jante en bois et une spectaculaire peinture deux tons en Ice Blue avec hard-top Peacock Blue et intérieur gris-bleu,. Le registre de l'AMOC indique que l'immatriculation d'origine était « ULM 333 ».

La liste des propriétaires qui accompagne la voiture mentionne M. Maurice Goldman comme propriétaire suivant (à partir de février 1960) , habitant dans l'Essex, qui garda la voiture environ 20 mois et la revendit en octobre 1961 à M. Anthony Percival Amato de Londres. Pendant les 17 années suivantes, la voiture eut quatre propriétaires au Royaume-Uni avant d'être cédée à un résident australien, Christopher A. Green en avril 1978. Le registre de l'AMOC mentionne un autre propriétaire australien, P. de Janko, qui l'inscrivit au Melbourne Classic Car Show en 1987 où il remporta un premier prix.

Récemment acquise par son propriétaire actuel, l'Aston qui aurait bénéficié d'une restauration totale en Australie apparaît très présentable avec une belle patine. Nous savons que tous les instruments fonctionnent, que la voiture démarre facilement et que le moteur tourne bien et avec tous ses chevaux. Élément de valeur dans toute collection privée, cet exemplaire d'une des plus désirables Aston Martin à carrosserie « spéciale usine » est accompagnée de son outillage, de nombreuses factures d'entretien, de l'ancien document d'immatriculation australien et de ses actuels papiers néerlandais.

1956 Aston Martin DB2/4 MkII Coupé
Coachwork by Tickford
Chassis no. AM300/1241

The need to widen the appeal of the already-successful DB2 resulted in the launch in October 1953 of the 2+2 DB2/4. Extensive revisions to the car's rear end arrangements made room for two occasional seats and more luggage, the latter being accessed via a hatchback rear door, one of this now-common feature's earliest applications. In addition, a raised roofline, one-piece windscreen, larger bumpers and other detail styling changes differentiated the newcomer from its predecessor. Otherwise, the DB2/4 remained much the same as the DB2, employing the latter's rectangular-tube chassis, trailing arm independent front suspension and well-located live rear axle. The W O Bentley-designed, 2.6-litre, six-cylinder, twin-cam power unit came in tuned (125bhp) Vantage specification as standard for the 2/4. Despite this, the redesign's inevitable weight gain was not fully compensated for until the arrival of the 3-litre, 140bhp engine in 1954. The car's top speed was now 118mph (190km/h) with 60mph (97km/h) reached in around 11 seconds.

David Brown's acquisition of Tickford Ltd in 1953 led to bodywork for the revised MkII model, launched at the London Motor Show in October 1955, being manufactured by the Newport Pagnell coachbuilder. For the first time there was a third body type on offer: a fixed-head coupé in 'notch back' style. Very attractive, the latter afforded accommodation similar to that of the drophead version but was priced the same as the three-door sports saloon.

While mechanically very little different from its predecessor, the DB2/4 MkII was readily identifiable by its subtly altered lines, the most significant change being a ¾" increase in roof height that afforded greater headroom. Flashing indicators and discreet tail fins made an appearance, as did chromed trim strips running from the front wheelarch tops to the door shuts, below which the bonnet sides were now fixed, thus lightening the bonnet assembly. Interior improvements included better seats and a proper fly-off handbrake. The Aston six had been enlarged from 2.6 to 3.0 litres part way through production of the DB2/4 MkI and continued unchanged in the MkII, though a special series VB6J engine suffixed 'L' or 'L1' producing 165bhp was available as an option. Of the 199 DB2/4 MkIIs produced up to October 1957, saloons accounted for the majority with 24 built as drophead coupés, 34 as fixed-head coupés and four supplied as chassis only.

One of the 34 fixed-head coupés made, 16 of which were delivered in the UK, making the car we offer one of the rarest and thus most desirable of all post-war Aston Martins. Chassis number 'AM300/1241' was delivered on 22nd November 1956 to the well-known Aston Martin/Lagonda agent, Brooklands of Bond Street and subsequently was purchased by Ashtons Development, a steel fabrications company based in Essex. Special features included non-polished aluminium castings, a wood-rim steering wheel and striking two-tone livery of Ice Blue with Peacock Blue hardtop and blue-grey interior, all of which the car retains today. The AMOC Register lists the original UK registration as 'ULM 333'.

The accompanying logbook records the next owner (from February 1960) as a Mr Maurice Goldman, an Essex resident who kept the Aston for some 20 months, selling it in October 1961 to Mr Anthony Percival Amato of London. Over the course of approximately the next 17 years the car passed through the hands of four owners in the UK before being sold to Australian resident Christopher A Green in April 1978. The AMOC Register records one other owner in Australia – P de Janko – who entered it in the Melbourne Classic Car Show in 1987, winning a 1st place award.

Purchased recently by the current European owner, the Aston is believed to have undergone a full restoration in Australia, appearing very presentable and possessing a nice patina. We are advised that all the gauges are fully functioning and the car starts easily, runs strongly and tracks well. A significant addition to any important private collection, this example of a most desirable 'factory coachbuilt' Aston Martin is offered with tool kit, sundry service invoices, an old Australian registration document and current Netherlands registration papers.

Saleroom notices

  • No current Netherlands registration papers had bee provided at the time of sale.
Auction information

This auction is now finished. If you are interested in consigning in future auctions, please contact the specialist department. If you have queries about lots purchased in this auction, please contact customer services.

Buyers' Obligations

ALL BIDDERS MUST AGREE THAT THEY HAVE READ AND UNDERSTOOD BONHAMS' CONDITIONS OF SALE AND AGREE TO BE BOUND BY THEM, AND AGREE TO PAY THE BUYER'S PREMIUM AND ANY OTHER CHARGES MENTIONED IN THE NOTICE TO BIDDERS. THIS AFFECTS THE BIDDERS LEGAL RIGHTS.

If you have any complaints or questions about the Conditions of Sale, please contact your nearest customer services team.

Buyers' Premium and Charges

For all Sales categories excluding Wine, Coins & Medals and Motor Cars and Motorcycles:

Buyer's Premium Rates
25% on the first €50,000 of the Hammer Price
20% from €50,001 to €1,000,000 the Hammer Price
12% on the excess over €1,000,000 of the Hammer Price

TVA at the current rate of 20% will be added to the Buyer's Premium and charges.

Shipping Notices

For information and estimates on domestic and international shipping as well as export licences please contact Bonhams Shipping Department.

Contacts
  1. Paris
    Auction Administration - Motor Cars
    Bonhams
    Work
    Work +33 1 42 61 10 10
  2. Philip Kantor
    Specialist - Motor Cars
    Bonhams
    Work
    Boulevard Saint-Michel 101
    Brussels, Belgium 1040
    Work +32 476 879 471
Similar Items