c.1944 Norton 490cc Model 16H Military Motorcycle
Frame no. W91116
Engine no. W93521
Introduced in 1921, the 490cc sidevalve-engined Model 16H would be continuously up-dated for the next 30-plus years. The 16H saw service with the Allies throughout WW2, forming the majority of the 100,000-or-so Nortons supplied to British and Commonwealth armed forces. Machines were modified to meet the needs of their particular sphere of operations and the 16H proved well suited to military work, being relatively simple in construction and easily maintained while possessing better-than-average ground clearance and good all-round performance. This example was bought from Athens' Hassani military airport (later the Ellenikon civilian airport) at the end of WW2. Restored in 2007 with the assistance of Vassilios Papaioanou and presented in running order, it benefits from recent servicing and is described as in generally very good condition. There are no documents with this Lot.