1958 BMW 247cc R26
Registration no. 4252 VH 61
Frame no. 359399 (see text)
Engine no. 357940
Built to the same exemplary standards as the Bavarian company's famous twins, the single-cylinder BMW first appeared in pre-war days. Indeed, BMW's first new post-war model was a single-cylinder design - the 250cc R24 - which arrived in 1948. By 1956, BMW's quarter-litre luxury lightweight had evolved into the R26, boasting a more powerful (15bhp) engine, Earles-type leading-link front fork and larger fuel tank among numerous improvements. Considerably more expensive than other 250s, the R26 was a relative rarity outside Germany, appealing to mature, discerning riders for whom quality of construction counted more than mere outright performance. This R26 consists of a non-matching frame and engine, which originally formed parts of machines delivered to France in 1958. (It should be noted that although the VIN plate is stamped '357940', the frame itself is stamped '359399'). The machine is offered with repair manual (photocopy), French Carte Grise normale and copy of an old CG.
- La machine est vendue avec son certificat d'immatriculation, mais pas la carte grise comme indiquée au catalogue.
The machine is offered with a Certificat d'immatriculation, not a Carte Grise as stated in the catalogue.