c.1969 BMW 594cc R69S (see text)
Registration no. 4564 TE 61
Frame no. 648929
Engine no. 664706
In the early 1950s BMW concentrated on refining what were essentially pre-war designs, but by 1955 was ready with a brace of new machines, the R50 and R69. Of 500cc and 600cc respectively, the newcomers inherited the up-dated flat-twin engine introduced on the R51/3 a few years previously but deployed this in all-new cycle parts, the most notable departures from preceding practice being the Earles-type leading-link front fork and swinging-arm rear suspension enclosing the drive-shaft in the right leg - developments first seen on the works racers. A luxury tourer capable of over 100mph, the R69 cost as much as a small family car and sold to discerning enthusiasts to whom expense mattered little when set against the excellence of BMW engineering. The R50/69 were produced until the arrival of the slightly more powerful 'S' versions for 1961. The larger of these, the R69S, produced 42bhp and was good for a top speed of around 110mph. 'Luxury roadster with superb high-speed performance yet docile traffic manners; magnificent steering, roadholding and brakes,' was Motor Cycle magazine's verdict. This restored motorcycle consists of a 1969 R50/2 frame (identical to the R69S type) and an R69S engine dating from 1968, both of which originally formed parts of machines delivered new to France. The machine is offered with French Carte Grise normale.
- La machine est vendue avec son certificat d'immatriculation, mais pas la carte grise comme indiquée au catalogue.
The machine is offered with a Certificat d'immatriculation, not a Carte Grise as stated in the catalogue.