c.1937 Norton 597cc Big 4
Registration no. 6876 VG 61
Frame no. 709076
Engine no. 8204 (see text)
Having hitherto relied on proprietary engines, Norton introduced its own power unit in 1907. The long-stroke (82x120mm) sidevalve single displaced 633cc and the new model it powered became known as the 'Big 4'. Considered by many to be an ideal sidecar 'tug', the Big 4 (and its 490cc 16H sibling) would be continuously updated for the next 30-plus years, many seeing service with Allied forces in WW2. Post-war, the Big 4 was revised with a shorter (113mm) stroke for a capacity of 597cc before taking its final bow, alongside the16H, in 1954. Last insured for road use in 2005, this restored Big 4 is offered with French Carte Grise de collection. It should be noted that the engine number has been re-stamped.
- La machine est vendue avec son certificat d'immatriculation, mais pas la carte grise comme indiquée au catalogue.
The machine is offered with a Certificat d'immatriculation, not a Carte Grise as stated in the catalogue.