1938 Norton 490cc 16H
Registration no. 6884 VG 61
Frame no. 81510
Engine no. W84180
Having hitherto relied on proprietary engines, Norton introduced its own power unit in 1907. The long-stroke sidevalve single displaced 633cc and the new model it powered became known as the 'Big 4'. Smaller capacity versions followed and in 1911 the 500 adopted the classic 79x100mm bore/stroke dimensions which would characterise the half-litre (actually 490cc) Norton for the next 50 years. The 490cc engine was revised for 1914 and in 1921 the Model 16, as it had become known, received a new lower frame, becoming the 16H. Norton's trusty sidevalve would be continuously updated for the next 30-plus years - many seeing service with Allied forces in WW2 - before taking its final bow, alongside the Big 4, in 1954. This 16H's 'W' engine number prefix suggests that originally it may have been supplied for military use. The machine is offered with French Carte Grise normale.
- Depuis la mise sous presse du catalogue, il nous a été précisé que cette moto date de 1942 et non de 1938 comme indiqué au catalogue.
La machine est vendue avec son certificat d'immatriculation, mais pas la carte grise comme indiquée au catalogue.
Since going to press we have been advised that this motorcycle dates from 1942 and not 1938 as stated in the catalogue.
The machine is offered with a Certificat d'immatriculation, not a Carte Grise as stated in the catalogue.