A rare San Francisco silver, gold, gold quartz and ivory presentation piece made for The Crown Point Gold and Silver Mining Company<BR />Koehler & Ritter (1867-1884) of San Francisco
Lot 1123Y
A rare San Francisco silver, gold, gold quartz and ivory presentation piece made for The Crown Point Gold and Silver Mining Company
Koehler & Ritter (1867-1884) of San Francisco
Sold for US$ 27,500 inc. premium
Lot Details
Property from the collection of Joseph Klein (1899 - 1987) New York, New York
A rare San Francisco silver, gold, gold quartz and ivory presentation piece made for The Crown Point Gold and Silver Mining Company
Koehler & Ritter (1867-1884) of San Francisco
Surmounted by carved ivory group of Ariadne and the panther after Johann Heinrich Dannecker (German, 1758 – 1841), raised on a rectangular silver plinth applied with grape vine garland centering on the obverse a gold quartz shield beneath gold shovel, pick and hammer and monogram GSJ and on the reverse a silver quartz shield inscribed Crown Point all supported by four standing California bears, stamped with makers symbol of a castle and words S.F. CAL. KOEHLER & RITTER S.F. CAL. height 6 3/4in 17cm); width 7 3/4in (20cm); depth 4 3/4in (12cm)

Footnotes

  • The original Ariadne and the panther after Johann Heinrich Dannecker was completed in 1824 and became one of the most popular sculptures in the 19th century and can be found modeled in many different mediums. The group is often found pared with the equally popular Una and the lion by John Bell

    Crown Point Gold and Silver Mining Company

    One of the richest mines of the Comstock Lode, the Crown Point Mine was staked in 1859 between the Belcher and Kentuck Mines and was 540' long. Superintendent John P. Jones' discovery of a silver bonanza at the 900' level in 1871 revived general interest in the Comstock after initial mining had exhausted surface deposits. In 1886 the Belcher and Crown Point Mines combined to mill low grade ore in the upper levels of both mines. In 1915 the Yellow Jacket, Crown Point, and Belcher mines consolidated into the Jacket-Crown Point-Belcher Mines Company; in 1920 they became part of the United Comstock Mining Company.

    Koehler & Ritter

    Koehler & Ritter were silversmiths and retailers of flatware and hollowware, but also jewelers who often incorporating gold quartz in their pieces, as well as diamonds and enamel. Gotthard Koehler (1823 - 1894) and Charles Ritter (1840 - ) came to San Francisco as German immigrants who joined a thriving community of German silversmiths and began their careers working under the leadership of Friedrich R. Reichel (c. 1824-1867). The two associates took over the firm in 1867 when Reichel died, advertising themselves as "Successors to F.R. Reichel" and continued working at the firm's original location at 620 Merchant Street.

    In the 1870's their business flourished and they relocated to the more fashionable address of 26 Post Street. Unfortunately, business was not as successful in this location and they ended their partnership in 1885.

    Literature:
    Dorothy T. Rainwater, Judy Redfield, Encyclopedia of American silver manufacturers, 1998
Activities
Lot symbols
Contacts
  1. Christine Skinner
    Auction Administration - Fine Furniture and Works of Art
    Bonhams
    Work
    220 San Bruno Avenue
    San Francisco, 94103
    United States
    Work +1 415 503 3479
    FaxFax: +1 415 503 3300