MAILHAT, R., ATELIERS.
A 4-inch refracting telescope, Paris, c.1900, signed "Ateliers R. Mailhat | Paris - XIVe," brass, with sighting scope, on heavy steel mount with counterweights, 1690 mm long, bracket 550 mm tall including counterweight, the drive mechanism incomplete.
Mailhat's workshop was founded in 1894, when he acquired the business of Lerebours & Secrétan which had itself been founded at the beginning of the 19th century. In 1909, Mailhat stepped down as director, and the firm continued under the direction of Mouronval. The present telescope resembles the two lunettes equatoriales à latitude variables illustrated in Ateliers R. Mailhat's 1910 catalogue (pp 11-12).