no bar (Nursing Sister H.Richardson. Scot. Nat. Red Cross Hos:). Good very fine. (1)
Nursing Sister Helen Richardson trained at the Royal Infirmary at Perth. She enrolled into the Princess Christian's Army Nursing Service Reserve as No.514 on the 4th May 1900, she only served with the Scottish National Red Cross Hospital.
The Scottish National Red Cross Hospital was organised in the first instance by the St Andrew's Association and was funded by voluntary donations. The organisation of the hospital began in January 1900. The personnel eventually consisting of an officer in charge, 18 Civil Medical Officers, 1 Quartermaster, 1 Warrant Officer, 2 Secretaries, 35 Nursing Sisters of the Army Nursing Service Reserve, 45 First-class Orderlies, all of whom were medical students, and 57 Second-class Orderlies, making a total of 160.
The first section arrived at Cape Town on 13 May 1900, and the hospital was opened for patients on 4 June, at Kroonstadt. Previous to that time however, the hospital staff had been employed on duty in the military hospitals at Bloemfontein and Kroonstadt. It remained during the whole period at Kroonstadt, and its equipment was handed over to the Government, when it ceased to exist as a private hospital, on 14 October 1900.