two bars, Cape Colony, Orange Free State (Civ: Ord: T.E.Holding, Welsh Hospital). Lightly toned, very fine. (1)
T.E.Holding served as a Civil Orderly with the Welsh Hospital and is entitled to the two bars.
The Welsh Hospital left the UK on the 14th April 1900 under the command of Major J.W.Cockerill, R.A.M.C., arriving at Cape Town on 3 May 1900. Excluding the Imperial Yeomanry Hospital and the Scottish Red Cross Hospitals, the Welsh Hospital had a slightly larger strength than any of the other voluntary hospitals. The Hospital lost three Surgeons, one Dresser and one Nurse, whose names appear on the Memorial to the unit in St.David's Cathedral, Pembrokeshire. There is a Memorial in Cathay's Park, Cardiff recording the names of those lost.
A total of 44 medals were awarded. Sold with assorted research and photographs of the Memorial.