H.M.S. Ganges signed and dated 'C.Napier Hemy/1885' (lower right) oil on card laid to board 49 x 35.5cm (19 5/16 x 14in).
EXHIBITED: London, Institute of Oil Painters, December 1885, no. 616
H.M.S. Ganges was launched on 10 November 1821 at Bombay Dockyard and constructed from teak. She is notable for being the last sailing ship of the Navy to serve as a flagship, In the 1860s, the Admiralty decided to set aside five old laid up hulks in different ports around the country and use them as bases at which volunteers aged between 15 and 17 could spend a year being educated for future service in the navy. One of the hulks chosen to be converted into a naval school was the old 84-gun second rate ship of the line H.M.S. Ganges. In 1866, she was towed to Mylor near Falmouth by the paddle tug Gladiator and was anchored in the Carrick Roads where she remained until 1899, when the declining number of boys joining the Ganges led the Admiralty to decide to move her to Harwich.