A pair of late George III mahogany hall chairs attributed to Gillows
The oval moulded backs centred by painted armorials above tapered seats with circular moulded dished centres, on square section tapering legs. (2)
The crest would appear to be that of the Hill family. Although the motto is rubbed it may possibly have read 'Avancez' and corresponds with the crest recorded as being used by Sir Clement Lloyd Hill (1845-1913), KCMG of Grosvenor Place, in the later 19th century.
The above chairs relate, with modifications to the back were made for John Christian's circular house on Belle Isle, Lake Windermere in August 1784 painted with Christian's crest. Two chairs from this set are currently on loan to Abbott Hall Art Gallery, Kendal and are illustrated in S.Stuart, Gillows of Lancaster and London, Suffolk, 2008, Vol.1, p.200, pl.174.