first quarter 19th century, England, 732cm x 626cm
The location for which this carpet was commissioned is not known, although the carpet has been in the same collection since 1920.
Thomas Whitty's carpet workshop, established in Axminster in 1755, reached its zenith in the period 1765-1790, when numerous commissions were received for many of the great houses of the land. Many of these were designed by Robert Adam, often to reflect his neo-classical ceilings. Several of these remain in-situ to this day in houses such as Saltram House, Newby Hall and Harewood House.
A carpet with a similar design was sold in these rooms 3 May 2001, lot 178.
Literature: S.B.Sherrill, Carpets and Rugs of Europe and America.