1955 Jaguar XK140 3.4-liter MC Roadster
Chassis no. S811687
Engine no. G5224-8S
3.4-liter, DOHC, 210hp inline six
Four-speed manual transmission
Desirable MC specification
The Jaguar XK-140, produced from late 1954 into 1957, generally continued the beautiful styling and impressive performance of the gutsy race-bred XK-120 that preceded italbeit with a bit more civility added into the mix.
XK-140 models included a cabriolet-type Drophead Coupé (DHC), a Fixed-Head Coupe and an Open Two-Seater (OTS) roadster, as represented here. Jaguar designers moved the DOHC 3.5-liter inline 6-cylinder engine forward in the XK chassis for the new model. The revised placement permitted more legroom in the cockpit, even as the previously used dashboard and seating locations were retained. For the first time, a bit of open space was also provided behind the front seat.
A Special Equipment performance package was created for the XK-140 and examples so equipped, such as the Open Two-Seater here offered, were designated MC models. The MC engine featured a higher-compression "C-type" cylinder head and had a dual exhaust system. The MC further included a pair of Lucas FT576 fog lamps, which were mounted above the front bumper...a subtle tip-off to the 210hp special performance engine lurking under the bonnet.
This XK 140 MC rolled off the line in Coventry on September 25, 1955 a lovely triple blue combination of Pastel Blue over Dark Blue leather with Light Blue piping and a Blue top. Dispatched to Hornburg in Los Angeles, it was not registered until 1957. Featuring an older restoration, the car shows well today in Carmine Red with tan hides and top. Previously owned by James Schnute of Glen Ellyn, Illinois, the Jag joined the Oldenburg Family Collection in May 2006.
One of the best looking cars ever built, the XK 140 most definitely fulfills the three basic provisos that Sir William Lyons claimed all Jaguars would meet: grace, space, and pace.
- Please note that the title for this vehicle is in transit.