The Great Union of All the Races of China 1971-1972
Lot 404
The Great Union of All the Races of China
1971-1972
£20,000 - 30,000
US$ 32,000 - 48,000

Lot Details
The Great Union of All the Races of China
1971-1972
Black lacquer inlaid with mother-of-pearl depicting a group of eleven dancers and musicians with instruments, a basket of flowers and long swirling ribbons, framed. 107cm x 48cm (42in x 19in)

Footnotes

  • 1971-1972年 黑漆嵌螺鈿「民族團結」圖板

    Provenance: produced at Yangzhou and exhibited in China until the end of the Cultural Revolution, and then placed in storage at the No.1 State Lacquer Factory in Yangzhou
    Exhibited at the Olympia Fine Arts and Antiques Fair, New Art from Ancient China - Lacquer from Yangzhou, November 1998
    A British private collection

    來源:產於揚州,一直出展在中國直到文化大革命結束,後存在揚州第一漆廠的儲存室
    1998年11月出展於奧林比亞藝術及古董博覽會的《New Art from Ancient China - Lacquer from Yangzhou》展覽
    英國私人收藏

    Designed by Associate Professor Zong Zhaochun, who was based in the Jiangsu Institute of Art, Nanjing, and Senior Master Zhang Yu
    Made by Senior Masters Li Duanhua and Gao Yangmao

    This plaque took one year to make during 1971-1972. It was exhibited at Jiangsu Provincial Arts and Crafts Exhibition of 1974 held in the Chaotian Temple, Nanjing.

    94% of the population of China belongs to the Han ethnic group. The remaining 6% belongs to 55 recognised national minorities, which include the most populous Zhuang, Hui, Uyghur, Yi, Miao, Manchu, Tibetan and Mongol minorities. During the Cultural Revolution, Mao's wife Jiang Qing, a former actress, devoted herself to a theatrical renaissance. The 'feudalistic bourgeois rubbish' of the traditional Peking Opera was condemned in favour of the artistic treatment of contemporary themes. This plaque illustrates an operatic ballet of the same title from one such Revolutionary Modern Opera.
Auction information

This auction is now finished. If you are interested in consigning in future auctions, please contact the specialist department. If you have queries about lots purchased in this auction, please contact customer services.

Buyers' Obligations

ALL BIDDERS MUST AGREE THAT THEY HAVE READ AND UNDERSTOOD BONHAMS' CONDITIONS OF SALE AND AGREE TO BE BOUND BY THEM, AND AGREE TO PAY THE BUYER'S PREMIUM AND ANY OTHER CHARGES MENTIONED IN THE NOTICE TO BIDDERS. THIS AFFECTS THE BIDDERS LEGAL RIGHTS.

If you have any complaints or questions about the Conditions of Sale, please contact your nearest customer services team.

Buyers' Premium and Charges

For all Sales categories excluding Wine, Coins & Medals and Motor Cars and Motorcycles:

Buyer's Premium Rates
25% on the first £50,000 of the Hammer Price
20% from £50,001 to £1,000,000 the Hammer Price
12% from £1,000,001 of the Hammer Price

VAT at the current rate of 20% will be added to the Buyer's Premium and charges excluding Artists Resale Right.

Payment Notices

Payment in advance: by cash, check with banker's card, credit card, bank draft or traveler's cheque.

Payment at collection: by credit or debit card.

Credit card charges: a surcharge of 2% is applicable when using Mastercard, Visa and overseas debit cards.

Shipping Notices

For information and estimates on domestic and international shipping as well as export licenses please contact Bonhams Shipping Department.

Contacts
  1. Christine Mitchell
    Auction Administration - Chinese Works of Art
    Bonhams
    Work
    101 New Bond Street
    London, United Kingdom W1S 1SR
    Work +44 20 7468 8248
    FaxFax: +44 20 7468 5840
  2. Olivia Hamilton
    Specialist - Chinese Works of Art
    Bonhams
    Work
    101 New Bond Street
    London, United Kingdom W1S 1SR
    Work +44 20 7468 8236
    FaxFax: +44 20 7468 5840
  3. Asaph Hyman
    Specialist - Chinese Works of Art
    Bonhams
    Work
    101 New Bond Street
    London, United Kingdom W1S 1SR
    Work +44 20 7468 5888
    FaxFax: +44 20 7468 5840
Similar Items