c.1929 duPont Cyclecar,
This one-off duPont cylcecar was built in the late 1920s. Originally the car was powered by a four-cylinder Henderson/Ace motorcycle believed to have been acquired during the time L. Paul du Pont controlled the Indian motorcycle company. L. Paul du Pont had been fascinated with cyclecars and had even acquired an early three-wheel Morgan after discussing the possibility of creating a similar product here.
This clever and surprisingly well executed machine showed some novel design features. The front and rear axles were mounted to cantilevered semi-elliptic springs while the drive was by dual belts to the rear wheels. A simple wooden chassis supported the springs, the engine drove through a two-speed planetary transmission, and the motor sent its power to the transmission via chain drive. Slippage of the drive belts negated the need for a conventional differential and the engine, being air cooled, had no hood covering it; the mechanical components were all in the open. The driver and the passenger sat in a pair of wicker bucket seats. Family members who drove it reported it to be great fun and surprisingly quick.
Currently it is offered as a project and has been disassembled for storage. Most of the major components are present with the exception of the engine. The car includes an extra set of final drive pulleys of a different ratio. More components are likely to be included than were available at the time of photography. The car still wears its 1929 Delaware License plates with one of L. Paul du Pont's original numbers (533).
Overall, it is an exciting and manageable project to restore a one of a kind car from a great American name.
Offered on a Bill of Sale.