Sold to benefit the St. Nicholas Fund, ex-Tom Monaghan
1930 Ford Model A Station Wagon
Engine no. A2885703
On May 26, 1927, after having produced 15 million Model Ts, Henry Ford shut down his giant River Rouge complex to retool for the famous car's long-awaited replacement. More than six months would pass before a new Ford appeared. When it did, Americans crowded into showrooms to see a car so completely re-engineered that Ford named it the Model A. The new Model A's 200-cubic-inch, 4-cylinder engine was rated at 40 horsepower, double that of the Model T. A conventional three-speed manual transmission replaced the Model T's eccentric planetary-gear transmission and it included an electric starter as standard. Edsel Ford, Henry's son, directed the Model A's contemporary, clean and very pleasing appearance. The fact that they were obviously patterned on the prestigious Ford-built Lincoln of the time was certainly a plus.
Another first was Ford's entry into an area of the market for which it and other group brands would become synonymous, the 'Woodie' or Station Wagon which arrived on the Model A in 1929. It was a true multi-purpose vehicle and in a day and age when re-configurable seat set ups are common place the similarities are strikingly similar, showing just how advanced it was in concept. At a push it could accommodate 8 persons and their baggage on the fold down rear deck, or alternatively the individual pair of second row seats and rear bench could be folded forward and lifted out leaving a substantial flat deck area. As with a 'T' the color palette was limited to a single color, 'Manila Brown,' while fenders, wheels and most trim pieces were painted black. Over time dealers and subsequent owners frequently upgraded the appearance by adding the passenger car's chromed radiator shell.
This Model A Woody Wagon has the unique distinction of being the first collector car bought by Domino's Pizza founder Thomas Monaghan. Purchased in the mid-80s, Mr Monaghan's collection quickly grew to a peak of 244 cars, including such notable vehicles as the Bugatti Type 41 Berline de Voyage. The penultimate vendor purchased the car as part of a package of five vehicles from the Monaghan collection in 1989. The vendor acquired the car ten years later.
The restoration, now aged a few decades, still shows well. The wood is in good shape and appears to be original to the vehicle. In a brief drive, the wagon performed admirably. Used sparingly by the current vendor, it has been carefully maintained since it was acquired but is now ready to be passed on to a new wheelman.
Of the 4.3 million Model A's built, Station Wagons represented a miniscule fraction of production and their survival rate has been modest, with the result that they are less frequently seen on the market than their successors. From Boyce Motometer to rear view mirror clock, this example of the model can be highly recommended for sociable warm weather motoring fun!