1960 MGA 1600 Roadster
Chassis no. GHNL/73395
Engine no. 16GA/U/4662
Conceived as replacement for the traditional T-Series MGs, the MGA combined a rigid chassis with the Austin-designed, 1,489cc B-Series engine that had first appeared in the ZA Magnette. Initially this engine produced 68bhp at 5,500rpm, although this was later raised to 72bhp at the same revs to further improve performance. Running gear was based on that of the TF, with independent front suspension and a live rear axle, but as far as its road manners were concerned, the far superior MGA was in an entirely different league. Clad in a stylish aerodynamic body and capable of topping 95mph, the MGA proved an instant hit, selling 13,000 units in its first full year of production.
In late 1959 Abingdon, again, had listened to the market and the public wanted to drive the MGA more. The 1600 model was introduced, with a larger engine and front wheel disc brakes; enthusiasts were elated. Earnest Bower was one such enthusiast. He took delivery of his distinguished Dove Grey roadster in 1959 and never relinquished possession. For the next fifty plus years he enjoyed his MGA sparingly, covering just over 30,000 miles, never repainting the car or changing its red leather interior or grey top; it remained completely original.
Although sitting untouched for some time, the engine starts right up, retains excellent oil pressure and sounds as smooth as the day it was driven from the showroom. This lot presents a rare opportunity for the next custodian to enjoy the rapidly appreciating design and performance of a special MGA in a subtle period colors.
This is an ultimate 'time-warp' machine....