Isotta Fraschini Tipo 8A 7.4-liter engine and transmission
Engine no. 724
Chief Engineer, Giustino Cattaneo, focused on a one model policy for Isotta-Fraschini in the 1920's, launching the world's first production straight-eight motor car, the Tipo 8, in 1920. This mirrored the then current one-model policy of Rolls-Royce in England. The early Isotta engines featured push-rod operated, overhead valves and had a capacity of 5.9-liters. Manufacturing standards were of the highest order, 80hp was produced and sophisticated, mechanical, servo-operated, four-wheel brakes were a modern luxury.
The Tipo 8A, announced in 1925 was still more sophisticated with a larger, 7,372cc engine, vacuum-assisted braking and was offered in three different engine specifications, the Spinto and Superspinto developing a massive 150hp. The 8A was unashamedly expensive and Isotta-Fraschini controlled with care a select list of favored customers.
Nathan Clark reportedly purchased this motor and transmission as a spare for his Lancefield-bodied Tipo 8A Coupe.
Crated for transport and storage, it appears assembled and complete, but the exhaust manifold is not attached and the carburetors are missing.
It has not been inspected internally and is sold strictly as viewed.