1953 Packard Clipper Deluxe Sedan
Chassis no. 2662-9940
Although its cars continued to be built to exemplary standards, Packard in the post-war years failed to match the pace of styling change that its customers, and the rest of the US auto industry, had come to accept as the norm. Nevertheless, Packards of the late 1940s and 1950s are amongst the most collectible of post-war US automobiles, representing as they do the final flowering of that magnificent straight eight. When post-war production commenced in October 1945, Packard fielded a range almost unchanged from that on offer for 1942, as did almost the entire US auto industry. By 1951 Packard was building eight-cylinder cars only and these were available in four series: 200, 250, 300 and 400.
For 1953 the base 200 Series was renamed 'Clipper', reviving a name from the 1940s. The Clipper line-up consisted of Special and Deluxe variants, powered by the 288ci (4.7-liter) and 327ci (5.4-liter) engines respectively. This is an example of the latter, visually discerned by the full length chrome molding on the sides of the cars, chrome tail fins and 'wire' trim wheels.
This handsome Packard is presented in the scheme that most probably displays its attributes best, being black livery, which serves highlight the contrasting plethora of chrome trim that adorn these cars. A benchmark example of the model, it has literally just emerged from long term Virginia barn storage where it has resided from many years. A cursory clean up has been undertaken, during which time it was clear that this is a true 'time-warp' car which appears to have never been restored.
- Please note that the title for this vehicle is in transit.