Queen of Clippers signed lower right "Montague Dawson" watercolor on paper 10 x 14 in. (25.4 x 35.5 cm.) (not inspected out of the frame)
Provenance: with Frost and Reed (registration No.: D8530) to the current owner
The Queen of Clippers was built by Robert E Jackson at Boston, Massachusetts, and launched in 1853. The vessel was originally owned by Seccomb and Taylor of Boston and then sold to Zerega & Co. soon after its launch. Queen of Clippers was active on the trade route between New York and San Francisco during the time of the American and Australian gold rush. It is believed to have been renamed REINA DES CLIPPERS after it was sold to French interests in 1856.