From a Prominent European Collection,
c.1919 Evans Power-Cycle
Engine no. 21796
"Handy as a bicycle, efficient as a motorcycle," the Evans Power-Cycle was manufactured between 1918 and 1924 by the Cyclemotor Corporation of Rochester, New York, which had been producing a self-contained power pack for attachment to a pedal bicycle since 1916. This unit, 5.5ci (90cc) single-cylinder two-stroke with outside flywheel, was used for the Power-Cycle, driving the rear wheel by means of a rawhide belt. Cyclemotor's advertising made much of the two-stroke's simplicity and the fact that the lightweight Power-Cycle (it weighed only 70 pounds) could be carried into the owner's home at night. Cheap to buy and run, the Power-Cycle cost only one hundred dollars and was claimed to cover up to 150 miles on a gallon of gas, while its top speed was around 30mph. For 1921 an improved version was introduced that featured direct electric lighting, powered by the magneto.
Presented in largely original condition, the Evans offered here has been part of a long term static display. Generally in good condition, it should be noted that the magneto appears to have deteriorated.
Auction terms and conditions