From a Prominent European Collection,
c.1912 Royal Ruby JAP Single project
Originally based in Manchester, Royal Ruby commenced motorcycle manufacture around 1910, offering a range of machines powered by LMC and JAP proprietary engines. Single-cylinder and v-twin powered models were offered, some of the latter being used for military sidecar duty in WWI, and the firm occasionally dabbled in the cyclecar market. A Villiers-engined lightweight was added to the range in 1914. After The Great War, the firm relocated to Altrincham, Cheshire but despite a reputation for quality second to none it failed to weather the post-war recession and went into receivership in 1922. Around one year later, Royal Ruby reopened under new ownership in Bolton, Lancashire. Saddle tanks were adopted in 1927 and duplex loop frames introduced before the firm switched exclusively to Villiers power units for 1929. Royal Ruby ceased production in 1933.
This rare accumulation of parts is certainly an ambitious but deserving restoration project, with most of the important components present. Engine components are JAP Single, while the origin of the frame is unknown, but believed to be English and of circa 1915 vintage.