1957 NSU Max
Founded in Germany in 1873 as knitting machine manufacturer, of all things, NSU produced its first motorcycle in 1901, the same time as Indian was getting started in the U.S. Jump ahead a half-century and in the tough times following World War II, NSU created some outstanding and influential designs, foremost of which was the 250cc Max. Announced in September of 1952, the Max used a pressed-steel monocoque frame, leading-link front fork and a single centrally mounted shock, all very advanced for the day. But its most unusual feature was reserved for the engine in the form of designer Albert Roder's "Ultramax" connecting-link drive for the single overhead camshaft essentially a secondary con-rod setup. With 17hp on tap, the Max was quick for a 250, topping out at 75-80mph.
Endowed with exceptional handling thanks to its superior cycle parts, the Max could show many a larger machine the way home over twisty terrain. Reliable, well engineered and superbly finished, the NSU was one of the finest European motorcycles of its time and today is worthy of inclusion in any serious collection. This particular Max has been restored to a high degree and is finished in the rare but correct Jade Green color, set off by chromed gas tank panels and a two-tone saddle.
- Please note that the frame and the engine numbers for this motorcycle are 1826228 and 3219015 respectively.