1956 BMW R25
Getting back into production following the devastation of WWII was a difficult proposition for German companies. Like many, BMW turned to its prewar designs just to get things rolling. First true postwar model was the 1951 R25, an overhead-valve single that used a sprung fork and plunger rear suspension. As on all BMWs, shaft final drive was a signature feature. By 1953 the R25/3 had gained a new double-damped hydraulic fork, and a strong following of loyal riders. In three years of production before giving way to the R26, the /3 sold in numbers approaching 50,000 units, firmly putting BMW on the road to recovery.
This R25/3 is from the Allan B. Aaron collection and was used to tour all over Europe when he wasn't working for the Department of Defense or vintage road racing his beloved MV Agustas and Moto Parillas. It is set up for dual work with a pair of sprung saddles.
- Please note that the frame and engine numbers for this motorcycle are 315485 and 315485 respectively, and it is titled as 1955.