c.1960 Moto Parilla 250cc Road Racer
It is fitting that this Parilla 250 from the Allan B. Aaron collection is in road race trim. In 1946 after dropping the second "r" from his last name, founder Giovanni Parrilla put his new Moto Parilla company on the map at a local road race in Lombardy, Italy. It was the first new Italian racing design to emerge after the hostilities of World War II.
Known for their high quality and engineering excellence, Parillas made an impact on Americans with the introduction of the "camme rialzata," or high-cam models. These employed a gear and chain setup to drive a camshaft mounted high in the left-side timing tower. This, in turn, actuated the valve rockers via short pushrods, which gave the rev capacity of an overhead-cam design but without any complicated valve adjustment procedures. In 1958 a well-ridden Parilla 175 beat bigger bikes to take the win in the 250cc Grand Prix race at Daytona. Soon U.S. riders were calling for a larger engine, which led to a 68mm overbore and a 247cc displacement.
The Aaron Parilla 250 was part of his vintage road racing stable. Legal for AHRMA racing at the time, like the rest of his race bikes it will need a recommissioning to bring it up to current safety specifications.
US$ 20,000 - 25,000
£13,000 - 16,000
15,000 - 19,000
- Please note that the engine number for this motorcycle is 407795.
Auction terms and conditions