A large Victorian silver-gilt presentation cup and cover to Captain E.A.Inglefield RN by Elkington & Co Ltd,  London 1963
Lot 364
A large Victorian silver-gilt presentation cup and cover to Captain E.A.Inglefield RN by Elkington & Co Ltd, London 1963
Sold for £5,000 (US$ 8,404) inc. premium
Auction Details
A large Victorian silver-gilt presentation cup and cover to Captain E.A.Inglefield RN by Elkington & Co Ltd,  London 1963 A large Victorian silver-gilt presentation cup and cover to Captain E.A.Inglefield RN by Elkington & Co Ltd,  London 1963 A large Victorian silver-gilt presentation cup and cover to Captain E.A.Inglefield RN by Elkington & Co Ltd,  London 1963
Lot Details
A large Victorian silver-gilt presentation cup and cover to Captain E.A.Inglefield RN
by Elkington & Co Ltd, London 1963
Campana-variant form, the cover with ropetwist border and band of scallop shells, the centre with lift-out finial modelled as a liver bird atop a rocky outcrop with clover border, the body with two impressive groups of clustered shells, one with the central shell as a cartouche engraved with presentation inscription, "Presented to Captain A. Inglefield on his leaving Liverpool by the Mercantile Marine Service Association in remembrance of the high esteem in which he is held by & the services he has rendered to that body, 2nd May 1864", with applied handles formed as mythical dolphins upon acanthus leaf prow bases, the lower body applied with two masks of Neptune supporting chain swags, the stem with capstan knop and terminating in a stepped circular base with husk border and applied with two fouled anchors, all raised on an octagonal ebonised plinth with gilt ropetwist border and inlaid with four gilt cartouches engraved with three coat of arms of: the City of Liverpool, the Mercantile Marine Service Association and for Admiral Sir Edward Augustus Inglefield KCB, FRS (1820-1894), height excluding base 51.5cm, weight total 108oz.

Footnotes

  • The Merchantile Marine Services Association was set up by Liverpool Shipowners and Master Mariners in 1857, in response to the harsh Shipping Laws of 1850. They formed a Committee a year later with the intention of promoting the training of young Officers for the Merchant Navy and the Admiralty responded by loaning them the Corvette HMS Conway, which was to be moored in the Mersey. Proving to be too small, she was replaced in 1861 by HMS Winchester (and renamed Conway) which remained in place until 1876 when replaced by the two deck 2nd Rate battleship HMS Nile, which remained as the eponymous Training Ship until she foundered in the Menai Straight in 1953.
Activities
Contacts
  1. Stephanie Connell
    Specialist - Maritime
    Bonhams
    Work
    Montpelier Street
    London, SW7 1HH
    United Kingdom
    Work +44 20 7393 3844
    FaxFax: +44 20 7393 3873