The old Seacombe ferry stage, c. 1870 pen, ink and watercolour heightened with white 34 x 63cm (13 3/8 x 24 13/16in).
G. W. Stevens was a naive painter of Liverpool marine subjects little known outside Merseyside, and no details of his life have come to light. This scene ia almost a pair to its 'calm' equivalent shown in 'Marine Art & Liverpool', A.S. Davidson, Wolverhampton, 1986 pg. 109, and illustrated pg. 108 (Liverpool Maritime Museum collection), which is a very rare example of Stevens's work in that it is signed (Merseyside Maritime Museum, Liverpool collection).
The building on the extreme right of the picture which is titled 'Seacombe Amer' advertises an American Bowling Alley, which was part of the Seacombe tea gardens on the site. Regular and frequent ferries were an important factor in the rapid development of the Wirral.