Formerly owned by the Earl of Moray, and Charles Bickley of 'Woodie World' fame
1930 Rolls-Royce Phantom II Shooting Brake
Chassis no. 67 XJ
Engine no. WK 55
* 7,668cc in-line six-cylinder
* 4-speed manual transmission
* 4-wheel servo-assisted brakes
* Semi-elliptic springs front and rear
* Shooting Brake conversion early on in life
* Fresh Brewster green paint
Rolls-Royce cars were always highly prized. Their refinement and reliability meant that they frequently became as much a part of a family, however noble that family was, like the trusted gun dog, or a piece of furniture. With such sentimental bonds to these cars, it became common for them to be retained by families long after there was the option of newer models even from the Rolls marque and they would often have more than one life or role as the trusted automobile was put into a fresh service in order to be kept by a family. It is in this context that the car we offer here can be considered.
The Rolls is known to have been delivered as a Weymann fabric saloon, originally through Birmingham UK agents, George Heath Limited in January 1930 to its first owner S.C. Harrison. Within its first ten months the car was transferred to a new owner, W.F. Player of Staunton Grange in Nottingham. It is quite possible that this ingenious but vulnerable coachwork eventually became unserviceable, while true to form its robust mechanical aspect still had lots of life in it. With plenty of power on tap from its 7.7 liter motor, the Rolls-Royce was put into new service and with the updated Shooting Brake coachwork that its still wears today. It should be noted that particularly in the post-war era there was a road-tax incentive for fitting utilitarian bodies on existing automobiles. This alteration is thought to have taken place in the 1950s, and to have been accomplished between Player and its next ownership as it was certainly already in this secondary form of its life when it became the property of one of Scotland's best known car collectors the Earl of Moray in 1962. It would no doubt have shared stable with such legendary automobiles as the Le Mans Alfa Romeo 2.9 Aerodynamic Coupe and Count Zborowski's Hispano-Suiza at this time, so would have been in good company.
The Rolls later left the UK and was acquired by Charles Bickley in Florida. Bickley was well known for collecting such vehicles and it was no doubt intended for display at his 'Woodie World' museum - the perfect comparison to the variety of US built cars in his collection. At the time of his purchase the car is known to have been in relatively tired order, and it was Bickley who commissioned a comprehensive restoration in the early 1980s. That work still holds up well to this day, but it has been further enhanced with a complete repaint in the current attractive Brewster Green livery it wears today. The Rolls brake is well appointed with a plethora of period accessories including its tinted windshield visor, side mounted spot light, a single Trippe driving light and an unusual feature of marker lamps recessed into the front fenders.
With a high standard of presentation this commodious and head turning automobile would be equally at home, in the paddock of a race circuit or on an estate, experiences which could of course be enjoyed with a number of friends. It is also eligible for and has been shown in Rolls-Royce Owners Club events, and participated on CCCA CARavans.